Welcome Screen has JUST gone bonkers + strange error when logging off RRS feed

• Question

• Since the day I've bought my computer, I've always had the welcome screen and showing who had an account (I use a laptop). I installed something yesterday, a gaming device, and tried to uninstall it and i kept getting errors in regards to Microsoft Script errors? (I can't remember). Then my computer shut off on its own. (I was petrified that it had crashed). But it turned on okay, but then I realised that for the first time the window screen just pops on without showing how many programs i have running or if i have email. I've gone into User Accounts and window screen is checked on, i've tried to start a guest account and others but it just bypasses all of that and goes into windows, which is driving me insane.

Also, when i shut down, I get an error message, but it shuts down too fast for me to see what it's actually saying. THIS started today as well. And annoyingly, I can't even roll back my computer with system restore. Any help with this would be great, thank you.

Saturday, February 2, 2008 6:42 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting here!

From your post, these appear to be some general Windows XP issues. As this forum focuses on SteadyState specific issues, this inquiry would best be posted to Windows XP public newsgroup:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the newsgroups regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.  Thank you for your understanding.

Some information for your reference:

1. You can perform a System Restore to back to the previous status.

2. We can hold the Shift key to stop auto logon. Then log on with another user.

3. As to the error messages. As you have done, new user accont is a good troubleshooting method. You can also try a Clean Boot, which will disable all third party programs and services

a. run msconfig from Start -Run

b. on the Startup tab, disable all. under Services tab, hide all microsoft services and disable all.

c. restart to test.

Best Regards,

Sunday, February 3, 2008 11:49 AM