SharePoint access from Vista SP1 RRS feed

• Question

• I  have access to two different WSS 3.0 sites from different hosting vendors. 
    Unfortunately the two seem to work differently.

Site 1 works correctly. 
    - Can open, edit and save a document on the sharepoint site.
    - Can create a Network Location and access the files directly via Windows
    Explorer

Site 2 does not work correctly.
    - CANNOT open, edit and save a document on sharepoint. (Can open as read
    only, but not edit or save)
    - CANNOT create a Network Location

I am running Vista SP1.  Site 2 works correctly when I use WinXP, but not
    Vista SP1. 

Given that I am attempting to use Site 1 and Site 2 from one, Vista SP1
    computer and the fact that Site 1 works correctly.  I have the following
    question.

Is the problem likely on my computer or in the WSS 3.0 configuration at Site
    2's hosting vendor?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
    Monday, July 28, 2008 10:10 PM

Answers

• Hello,
    This is clearly configuration issue on your hosting vendor site.

Regards
    Ivan Bondy - MCPD, MCDBA, MCSA, MCTS - Sharepoint consultant
    Monday, July 28, 2008 10:43 PM
  • If you are able to open the site in sharepoint designer and you see "normal folder" icons then this means the ISP has turned off their Client Integration on the web application.
    The client integration allows office and sharepoint designer to communicate with the server.

Regards,
    james.
    Wednesday, July 30, 2008 9:58 PM

All replies

• Hello,
    This is clearly configuration issue on your hosting vendor site.

Regards
    Monday, July 28, 2008 10:43 PM
  • Unfortunately this is one of those irritating posts that has been made (at the same time) to both a Microsoft newsgroup and to a Microsoft forum.

Guess what my reply in the newsgroup was ?

Yes, the same as your answer here !

The reply there was that he had written (after the text we both picked up on) that "Site 2 works correctly when I use WinXP, but not Vista SP1.".

Now, I am very tempted to delete the thread here as a duplicate (so please m87 don't do this again) but as I didn't have any more ideas in the newsgroup other than "check the settings in IE for that security zone" (thus saving you writing this here Ivan!), I'll leave it in case you have any further ideas.
    Tuesday, July 29, 2008 6:11 AM
  • Ivan,

Is there anything you can suggest I ask them to check in the configuration?  They haven't a clue what needs to be done to correct the issue and neither do I.

I'll be greatful for any suggestions.

Thanks.

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 5:02 AM
  • My appologies Mike.  I was looking for a different group of people who might have seen something different and I didn't know there was a lot of crossover between the two sites.

I still don't have any suggestions for how to fix the problem.  However I won't double-post the question again.
    Wednesday, July 30, 2008 5:09 AM
  • If you want to post to two different places, try the SharePoint University forums for your second place. It probably has a different set of people.

These two (newsgroup and this forum) are both Microsoft and therefore are more likely to have the same people trying to help.
    Wednesday, July 30, 2008 6:06 AM
  • I would start with general questions.
    Are they using ISA? What authentication are they using FBA or AD?
    Are you getting any errors in your event log when trying to connect to Site 2?

Regards

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 3:18 PM
  • Thanks Ivan!  I will ask!
    Wednesday, July 30, 2008 7:21 PM
  • Also try openning the site in SharePoint Designer and tell us what happens?

I suspect your ISP has turned off the "Client Integration" features on their web app.
    Wednesday, July 30, 2008 9:07 PM
  • If you are able to open the site in sharepoint designer and you see "normal folder" icons then this means the ISP has turned off their Client Integration on the web application.
    The client integration allows office and sharepoint designer to communicate with the server.

Regards,
    james.
    Wednesday, July 30, 2008 9:58 PM