Uninstall SUP Role SCCM 1606 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

Are there any recommended guidelines to remove SUP role completely from SCCM 1606? I have a different WSUS server up and running and would like to uninstall the role from SCCM. 

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,

Shannon

Thursday, September 22, 2016 2:01 AM

Answers

• You can uninstall the SUP the same as any other role. In the SCCM console go to \Administration\Overview\Site Configuration\Servers and Site System Roles, select the server with the Software Update Point, then right click on it and remove role. Keep an eye on SUPSetup.log to make sure it uninstalls ok.

Are you planning to use a seperate WSUS without SCCM to manage updates and not use a SUP with SCCM? Its reccomended to use a SUP with SCCM instead of a standalone WSUS. If you are using a standalone WSUS then you will need to change the GPO's to point to the WSUS. Jörgen Nilsson has a good post on the advantages of SCCM with a SUP compared to just a WSUS http://ccmexec.com/2012/08/top-11-reasons-why-you-should-use-configmgr-2012-for-managing-software-updates/
    Thursday, September 22, 2016 2:15 AM
  • Thanks for your input Nick. GPO is pointing to the standalone WSUS already. Once the SUP role has been removed, I would only need to remove WSUS from SCCM server and that should be it right? Would I need to perform any database cleanup tasks as well?

You have to uninstall the WSUS serer which is integrated with SCCM. while uninstallation remove the WSUS DB also.

then remove the SUP from console, that's it. 

Sharad Singh | My blogs: SharadTech | Twitter: @SinghSharaad | | Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, September 22, 2016 3:47 AM

All replies

• You can uninstall the SUP the same as any other role. In the SCCM console go to \Administration\Overview\Site Configuration\Servers and Site System Roles, select the server with the Software Update Point, then right click on it and remove role. Keep an eye on SUPSetup.log to make sure it uninstalls ok.

Are you planning to use a seperate WSUS without SCCM to manage updates and not use a SUP with SCCM? Its reccomended to use a SUP with SCCM instead of a standalone WSUS. If you are using a standalone WSUS then you will need to change the GPO's to point to the WSUS. Jörgen Nilsson has a good post on the advantages of SCCM with a SUP compared to just a WSUS http://ccmexec.com/2012/08/top-11-reasons-why-you-should-use-configmgr-2012-for-managing-software-updates/
    Thursday, September 22, 2016 2:15 AM
  • Thanks for your input Nick. GPO is pointing to the standalone WSUS already. Once the SUP role has been removed, I would only need to remove WSUS from SCCM server and that should be it right? Would I need to perform any database cleanup tasks as well?

Thursday, September 22, 2016 2:20 AM

You have to uninstall the WSUS serer which is integrated with SCCM. while uninstallation remove the WSUS DB also.

then remove the SUP from console, that's it. 

Sharad Singh | My blogs: SharadTech | Twitter: @SinghSharaad | | Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, September 22, 2016 3:47 AM