Windows 10 start menu & search not working RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We just got Windows 10 installed on a HP laptop (dv7 with i5) through Windows 7 Home Premium free upgrade and the start menu button is dead. Clicking on it does nothing. Right click works and pops a menu. The search (located next to the start menu) opens but doesnt accept any character input. Any ideas what we have to do to get it working?

Best regards, Andrzej.

Sunday, August 9, 2015 7:58 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Follow the screenshot below to find Windows update:

Checking Windows update to make sure Windows was upgrade to be latest, then check the problem again.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by EMMmmmmmm Wednesday, August 19, 2015 8:41 AM
    • Marked as answer by Karen Hu Friday, September 4, 2015 2:49 AM
    Tuesday, August 11, 2015 7:48 AM
  • Try this fix, it came directly from Microsoft Partner support. Work great for me, make sure and restart your computer after it finishes  

1. Press Windows Key + R on your keyboard.
    2. Key in PowerShell and hit Enter.
    3. Right click on the PowerShell icon on the taskbar and select Run as Administrator.
    4. Now paste the following command in the Administrator: Windows PowerShell window and press Enter key:
      Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}
    5. Wait for PowerShell to execute and complete the command. Ignore the few errors (in red color) that may pop up.
    6. When it finishes, try hitting Start and hopefully it’ll start working.
    • Proposed as answer by Karen Hu Wednesday, August 26, 2015 9:11 AM
    Monday, August 24, 2015 3:43 PM
  • I got this problem on two computers.

All "menu" (linked to Modern UI) was broken = Search, start menu, notifications, ...

I tried an sfc /scannow or the Dsim /online /cleanup... without any effect.

I remember the problem i got with Windows 8 modern UI apps won't lunch... (lunch and immediately reduce).

Do Simply this :

Open regedit (with administrator rights)

Give "read" permission to the "all application package" group on the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT.

Worked immediately for the two computers... (after a reboot).

• Proposed as answer by Karen Hu Friday, September 4, 2015 2:49 AM
    Thursday, August 27, 2015 9:13 AM

All replies

• Please check if you have installed Cumulative Update for Windows 10: August 5, 2015

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3081424

This update would fix some issues regarding Start Menu and Cortana.

Another option is to create another User Account with Administrative privileges.

S.Sengupta, Windows Experience MVP

Sunday, August 9, 2015 8:03 AM
  • Thx, unfortunately we no longer have Windows Update in the Control Panel. It used to be there before the upgrade. Not sure how to apply the patch!?
    Sunday, August 9, 2015 8:11 AM
  • On Sun, 9 Aug 2015 08:11:14 +0000, Andrz3j wrote:

Thx, unfortunately we no longer have Windows Update in the Control Panel. It used to be there before the upgrade. Not sure how to apply the patch!?

Settings on the Start Menu.

Paul Adare - FIM CM MVP

Sunday, August 9, 2015 9:44 AM
  • Hi,

Follow the screenshot below to find Windows update:

Checking Windows update to make sure Windows was upgrade to be latest, then check the problem again.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by EMMmmmmmm Wednesday, August 19, 2015 8:41 AM
    Tuesday, August 11, 2015 7:48 AM
  • Try this fix, it came directly from Microsoft Partner support. Work great for me, make sure and restart your computer after it finishes  

1. Press Windows Key + R on your keyboard.
    2. Key in PowerShell and hit Enter.
    3. Right click on the PowerShell icon on the taskbar and select Run as Administrator.
    4. Now paste the following command in the Administrator: Windows PowerShell window and press Enter key:
      Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}
    5. Wait for PowerShell to execute and complete the command. Ignore the few errors (in red color) that may pop up.
    6. When it finishes, try hitting Start and hopefully it’ll start working.
    • Proposed as answer by Karen Hu Wednesday, August 26, 2015 9:11 AM
    Monday, August 24, 2015 3:43 PM
  • I got this problem on two computers.

All "menu" (linked to Modern UI) was broken = Search, start menu, notifications, ...

I tried an sfc /scannow or the Dsim /online /cleanup... without any effect.

I remember the problem i got with Windows 8 modern UI apps won't lunch... (lunch and immediately reduce).

Do Simply this :

Open regedit (with administrator rights)

Give "read" permission to the "all application package" group on the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT.

Worked immediately for the two computers... (after a reboot).

• Proposed as answer by Karen Hu Friday, September 4, 2015 2:49 AM
    Thursday, August 27, 2015 9:13 AM
  • I had the same problem with Windows 10 Pro. I installed CCleaner and fixed all registry related issues. The problem was fixed without a reboot. :) 
    • Proposed as answer by PhilCarbo Tuesday, December 15, 2015 3:36 AM
    Tuesday, December 15, 2015 3:36 AM
  • I cannot access settings because the start menu and search functions do not work.
    Monday, March 13, 2017 9:37 PM
  • start menu button is dead. Clicking on it does nothing. Right click works and pops a menu. The search (located next to the start menu) opens but doesnt accept any character input.

This symptom description suggests that you are looking at the secondary of an extended display.  So, what happens if you press Win-P, CursorUp, Enter?  Even if you do not see the Project dialog which the Win-P would bring up the other two keystrokes may change its state.  The normal result would be a screen refresh in a new mode, e.g. from Extend to Duplicate so then you would be able to see what you were doing.  Otherwise, you should try pressing Win-Enter to start Narrator (with your speakers turned on) to get hints from it about what may be there somewhere but just not in view.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 3:38 AM