none
DHCP¨reservation and DNS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Since we use reservation we have some problem on different peripherals.

We have an RODc on a site wich has DHCP + DNS too.We create reservation on this DHCP but each computer reserved are not registred in DNS. What is the best practice ?

2nd issue ) On our site we have an other DC + DHCP + DNS and we use light client to connect to RDS with reserved DHCP. They are not registred in DNS too but laptop are and they are IP reserved too...

Say me what settings do you need to help me to improve these issue pls

Friday, July 15, 2016 6:08 AM

Answers

• Hi Matteu,

>> We create reservation on this DHCP but each computer reserved are not registred in DN

Could you please try to perform the operation as Avi posted?

Check if the problematic clients are using DC as preferred DNS server.

Is the computer joined the domain? Ensure the network connection is fine between DNS and computer.

>>They are not registred in DNS too but laptop are and they are IP reserved too...

Are they getting IP addresses from the same scope? Check the scope option to see if it is configured to register DNS records for DHCP clients.

Best Regards

John

• Proposed as answer by John Lii Monday, August 8, 2016 6:55 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by John Lii Tuesday, August 9, 2016 6:42 AM
    • Proposed as answer by John Lii Tuesday, September 6, 2016 8:44 AM
    • Marked as answer by Leo HanModerator Wednesday, September 7, 2016 7:10 AM
    Monday, July 18, 2016 1:09 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Just for the test - Regarding to the first question, can you please try to write the command:

ipconfig / registerdns 

in CMD console?(in Some Client Machine)

I want to check if that's working manually.

Thanks.

Friday, July 15, 2016 6:13 AM
  • Hi Matteu,

>> We create reservation on this DHCP but each computer reserved are not registred in DN

Could you please try to perform the operation as Avi posted?

Check if the problematic clients are using DC as preferred DNS server.

Is the computer joined the domain? Ensure the network connection is fine between DNS and computer.

>>They are not registred in DNS too but laptop are and they are IP reserved too...

Are they getting IP addresses from the same scope? Check the scope option to see if it is configured to register DNS records for DHCP clients.

Best Regards

John

• Proposed as answer by John Lii Monday, August 8, 2016 6:55 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by John Lii Tuesday, August 9, 2016 6:42 AM
    • Proposed as answer by John Lii Tuesday, September 6, 2016 8:44 AM
    • Marked as answer by Leo HanModerator Wednesday, September 7, 2016 7:10 AM
    Monday, July 18, 2016 1:09 AM
  • Ok, So much information first :

My RODC which is DHCP server too distribute himself like first dns server and a DC as 2nd DNS server.

I can't do different because if I have an RODC on this site it's because I don't have a DC. And it will be useless to give client DC on other site as 1st DNS. RODC would be useless.

The connection network etc is fine. These computer can access on each feature and ressources on the forest.

For the second problem, Yes, thinclient and laptop are getting IP from the same scope. Difference is a laptop is windows integrated and a thinclient nothing...

I'll try on the DHCP to check register all client in DNS and not register only client asking to register

I just test to do ipconfig /registerdns on the computer and it's ok if I do it... That means connection betweend computer and DC is ok. My issue is on dhcp configuration no ?

There is no firewall between sites

So to resume :

With my thinclient : they neverare registred on the DNS if I do a DHCP reservation. They are if I don't do.

With my computer on the RODC site : they are not registred in DNS if I have a DHCP reservation. If I do ipconfig /registerdns they are on DNS.

Tuesday, July 19, 2016 7:58 AM
  • Hi Matteu,

You could use network monitor to catch the net package,

And check if DHCP has registered records to DNS server.

Best Regards

John

Wednesday, July 20, 2016 2:56 AM
  • Mmmmm ok I'll try but never really do this before.Because DNS registration is on boot . So I need to capture data since my 2 DC ?

I need to find what I have to capture to filter the result.

Maybe the IP of the RODC (dhcp server for the computer)

Sunday, July 24, 2016 7:46 AM
  • Hi Matteu,

>>I'll try on the DHCP to check register all client in DNS and not register only client asking to register

is it working?

Have you tried to delete the reservation and recreate it?

Best Regards

John

Monday, July 25, 2016 6:05 AM
  • I will do it.

delete and create again ? I have this issue with lot of peripherals.... Don't think this will solve

Tuesday, July 26, 2016 1:18 PM
  • Hi Matteu,

I appreciate that you could share solution to here if the issues has resolved.

>>I have this issue with lot of peripherals

You could export and import DHCP scope.

Here is link for your reference:

How to use the Netsh utility to export and import DHCP scopes

https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/kb/281626

Best Regards

John

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, August 10, 2016 1:44 AM
  • Hi,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Best Regards

John

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 6, 2016 8:44 AM