admin console keeps freezing RRS feed

• Question

• Does the following happen to anyone else?

I've installed the console a regular workstation and I keep having this particular problem. I can do the same things I do on the console installed on the wsus server from this workstation except viewing file information. After looking at the file information of the 4th or 5th update the console will just freeze. Sometimes it will freeze on the first try of viewing file information. It will not let me do anything. It will stay frozen permanently because I have once let it stay like that for 30 minutes to see if it would unfreeze but it won't. Weird thing is that it shows up as running in the task manager. It never gets the "(not responding)" in the title bar. I have to kill it from task manager to get back into it. Can someone try to duplicate this scenario on their end please? Thanks.

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 7:06 PM

Answers

• Hi, I'm glad you saw my post in the other thread, and it sounds like you're indeed seeing the same issue given the ability to still navigate with the keyboard and unfreeze the UI.  This issue wasn't specific to WSUS, actually, but WSUS seemed to exhibit the behavior more commonly than other snap-ins.  It has nothing to do specifically with WSUS databases, APIs, et cetera.

Thanks to Rajiv on the WSUS team for finding this link before I did:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942213

Please try it out, and let us know if it resolves the issue.
    Thanks to you and Lawrence for bringing this to our attention. 

Friday, October 31, 2008 5:13 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please try the following steps:

1. Open a command prompt and run :

net stop wuauserv

2. Open a windows explorer, go to %appdata%\Microsoft\MMC, delete all the files under this folder.

3. run:  net start wuauserv

4. Try to open WSUS console again.

--------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang

Thursday, October 23, 2008 9:42 AM
  • No, that didn't work. All that did was make me lose my customized views that I have to create again. Any other suggestions?
    Thursday, October 23, 2008 3:59 PM
  • Eric... help me out here...

Why would stopping and starting the Automatic Updates service on the client system have anything to do with deleting the MSC file for the WSUS MMC?

Furthermore, if the MMC is already open, and working, what could possibly be defective in the MSC file that would impact the sudden failure of an APIRemoting command?

Myself, personally, since all of that metadata comes directly from the database, I'd be more inclined to think the issue is indicative of a database issue -- maybe the database is corrupted; maybe the database service is memory constrained; maybe the command is getting lost on the way to the database, or the data is getting lost on the way back and the MMC snapin is not handling the timeout well... maybe it has nothing to do with WSUS, and it's just symptomatic of a general network infrastructure issue, being manifested because of the larger volume (and frequency) of data being pulled from the database?

Incidentally, as regards the MSC file, I've recently learned (the hard way) that the file is only written to when the MMC is closed normally, and if something causes the MMC to be abnormally terminated, any changes made to the console (e.g. adding custom Update Views; changing column selections) are not saved.

As regards this user's unfortunate discovery that your instructions just wiped out his customized view definitions -- it would probably be a good idea to recommend making a backup copy of the WSUS(.MSC) file before deleting it.
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP(x2), MCTS(x5), MCP(x7), MCBMSP Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2009)
    Thursday, October 23, 2008 5:15 PM
  •  Hello Lawrence. Nice to see you visiting my post.

I don't think it could be the database. I can view this file information just fine when using the mmc on the wsus server itself. I've open the file information up to 15 times on the server just to make sure and it never froze on me. Now as far as the DB being memory constrained I don't know. I use the DB that comes with WSUS not SQL so I don't know where I would find this "constrained" configuration at. For the possible network issue that is a bit harder to track down. However, I don't believe the server for the WSUS is over-worked. It's a DC, DNS & holds 1 virtual machine that is not used often. So far I have 35 PCs set to update from WSUS so traffic shouldn't be that bad. Also, I have my workstation & server hooked to the same switch. We have about 71 PCs in total.

Your post is useful Lawrence. You just made me think of something in regards to network traffic. I do use my pc as a helpdesk & network monitor. I'm going to shut down these services and try to see if the console freezes on me. I will post my results later.
    Thursday, October 23, 2008 8:27 PM
  • No, that didn't work either. I stopped both services and started WSUS console. After looking at file information for the 6th time it froze on me. Have you tried this on your remote console Lawrence?
    Thursday, October 23, 2008 8:37 PM
  • That it works without issue on the WSUS Server Console is good information; it does exclude the database, or database corruption, as a possible cause.

I did try it on my Vista SP1 desktop and could not reproduce the behavior.

My inclination is that it's still related to timeouts somehow, but I have no actual data with which to support that hunch, at the moment.
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP(x2), MCTS(x5), MCP(x7), MCBMSP
    Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2009)
    Thursday, October 23, 2008 9:32 PM
  • I tried looking at the file revision for the updates and it also froze my console. Seems like trying to get any further info by right clicking the update causes this. Does anyone have a console on XP to try this out?
    Friday, October 24, 2008 4:33 PM
  • Does anyone know the latest build for MMC 3.0 for XP? Mine is 5.1 build 2600. On my server it is 5.2 build 3790. I know they are 2 different OSes but there's a big difference in the 2nd number. My xp has sp3 on it so I thought it would be the latest but now I have my doubts. Perhaps this is why certain parts of the MMC freeze on me with WSUS.
    Tuesday, October 28, 2008 4:39 PM
  • Okay, this is the latest thing I've been able to find out through some searching online. What happens to me is a known issue but it is a rare issue. When trying to use a "sub" window that is not the MMC itself, aka the "file information" window, after closing it the MMC doesn't get that message. So it never frees up the mouse because it thinks the window is still opened and obviously you can't use your mouse outside of that window until that window is closed. I can actually use my keyboard up and down arrows to move through the updates. I can even use the windows context menu key to get the mouse to response a bit. I actually have to go to "approve" and cancel that window for my mouse to come back to full functionality. They say it's a rare issue but unfortunately for me it's a very common issue that I can reproduce time and time again. Please read the following post that Matthew Wetmore from MSFT posted to a different forum.

http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/aspnet/30137393/wsus-30-admin-console-fr.aspx

If any of you MSFT guys need a test subject to reproduce this error I am a willing participant because as I've said I can reproduce this error over & over again. Please provide a fix...
    Tuesday, October 28, 2008 8:03 PM
  • Hi, I'm glad you saw my post in the other thread, and it sounds like you're indeed seeing the same issue given the ability to still navigate with the keyboard and unfreeze the UI.  This issue wasn't specific to WSUS, actually, but WSUS seemed to exhibit the behavior more commonly than other snap-ins.  It has nothing to do specifically with WSUS databases, APIs, et cetera.

Thanks to Rajiv on the WSUS team for finding this link before I did:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942213

Please try it out, and let us know if it resolves the issue.
    Thanks to you and Lawrence for bringing this to our attention. 

Friday, October 31, 2008 5:13 AM
  • Thank you! I installed the hotfix, restarted my pc and I now can view file information for the updates without it locking up the mouse. I've tried to view the info about 20 times now and no problems. The most I could get before was 5 or 6 views.

I'm so glad I found your name on that other forum and mentioned your name on this forum. Did someone let you know or did you just find this post? I actually googled your name trying to find some contact info on you.

So I take it this is still considered a rare issue?

Well thanks to everyone who helped out!

Friday, October 31, 2008 1:13 PM
  • Really glad to hear this solved your problem.

Lawrence passed along the information.  He can tell you about the Microsoft MVP program, if you're interested. 

-- matthew
    Development Lead | Microsoft Management Console (MMC), Management User Experience (M-UX).

Friday, October 31, 2008 5:04 PM
  • drivenbywhat said:

So I take it this is still considered a rare issue?

To fully answer your question: yes, it is rare.  It has also been fixed in recent releases of MMC, so it will gradually fade away into obscurity. 

It was fixed in Windows Server 2008, and Vista Service Pack 1. 
    Friday, October 31, 2008 7:25 PM
  • <THIS POST IS NOT RELATED TO THIS THREAD>
     This forum is really limited. You can't attach files & you can't send a message to a person.
    Matthew if you get the chance please take a look at this thread: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverwsus/thread/a2515680-24b8-4635-88fe-52b23ff1a552

Lawerence, could you tell me about the MVP program?
    Thanks.
    <THIS POST IS NOT RELATED TO THIS THREAD>
    Wednesday, November 5, 2008 9:23 PM
  • Greetings...

The "MVP Program" is essentialy a recognition program sponsored by Microsoft, to give recognition to persons who volunteer time and expertise in communities (forums, newsgroups, blogs, publishing) to assist users of Microsoft products with resolving issues, thus making "use of Microsoft products" a more enjoyable experience.

(Disclaimer: The above are my words. For the official description of the program please see http://mvp.support.microsoft.com -- hopefully the explanations are reasonably consistent. <g>)

The "MVP Award" is an annual award, based on the contributions made during the previous twelve month period. I first received the "MVP Award" in October 2005. It started when I spent several months working daily to betatest the original WSUS v2 product, as well as assist many users in the WSUS v2 beta newsgroups with their testing scenarios  (I had a lot of free time on my hands that year). Prior to using WSUS I had been a user of SUS since SP1 was released (early 2004, IIRC), so I've been working with the product for over four years now, through three different versions.

Since that time I've continued to use WSUS to upgrade my own network,  as well as recommend it to clients and employers for use in their networks, as well as maintain a weekly presence in the microsoft.public.windows.server.update_services newsgroup, and now, in this Technet forum. I received the award for my fourth consecutive year on Oct 1st, 2008.
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP(x2), MCTS(x5), MCP(x7), MCBMSP
    Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2009)
    Thursday, November 6, 2008 4:04 PM