Virtual Machine Recovery Point Creation Fails RRS feed

• Question

• I have a DPM 2010 server that I'm using to backup VM's on a three node Windows Server 2008 R2 cluster.  The cluster was recently rebuilt from scatch as part of the upgrade from Server 2008 to Server 2008 R2.  The DPM server itself is Server 2008.  We are getting the following failures when creating recovery points for our VM's:

The DPM service was unable to communicate with the protection agent on DPM_SERVERNAME (ID 65 Details: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host (0x80072746))

DPM will try to rerun the job until its successful but this may take 2 or 3 tries.  Problem is that if it tries too many times it then tries to run when other jobs are scheduled to run.  Because the VM's are on a CSV this obviously causes a problem.  I am looking at enabling per CSV LUN serialization but I'm not sure if that will help. 

The obvious solution would be to resolve what's causing the error in the first place but I have little hope for that.  I had this same problem with DPM 2007 and spent hours on the phone with MS support to no avail.

If anyone has any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks!

Thursday, August 26, 2010 1:47 PM

Answers

• Scott due to the complexity involved in troubleshooting an issue like yours it would be best to open a Microsoft support case so that we can better assist you and help to determine root cause.

Cheers, Tyler F [MSFT] - This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by T Franke Thursday, September 9, 2010 9:18 PM
    Thursday, September 9, 2010 9:18 PM

All replies

• This issue is similar to the one that has been solved on the following thread. Please check if this resolves the issue.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dpmtapebackuprecovery/thread/b2f4a638-d3fd-4692-aa9c-f2bb508ebc1d

Thanks Shyama Hembram[MSFT] This posting is provided AS IS, with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Proposed as answer by Shyama Hembram[MSFT] Friday, August 27, 2010 7:14 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Scott182 Monday, August 30, 2010 11:21 PM
    Friday, August 27, 2010 7:14 PM
  • Hi Shyama,

Thanks for your response.  I have tried the suggestions in the link you provided but none of those solutions worked.  In addition to the bandwith throttling and the registry entry, I have rescheduled jobs to ensure no other job runs at the same time as the job that is failing.  Usually I can rerun this job several times and it will eventually finish successfully but unfortunately it seems as though that is no longer the case.  I have run the job 8 times now and they have all failed. Each job runs anywhere from 55-65 minutes and then fails.  We use DPM 2010 to backup File Servers, Exchange and Hyper-V VM's.  We only have this problem with the Hyper-V jobs. 

Thanks again for your help!

Scott

Monday, August 30, 2010 11:21 PM
  • Scott due to the complexity involved in troubleshooting an issue like yours it would be best to open a Microsoft support case so that we can better assist you and help to determine root cause.

Cheers, Tyler F [MSFT] - This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by T Franke Thursday, September 9, 2010 9:18 PM
    Thursday, September 9, 2010 9:18 PM
  • Hi Tyler,

Thanks for the reply.  I agree with your statement that it seems to be a complex issue.  I have opened a case with Microsoft Support and will hopefully have some results soon.

Thanks!

Scott

Monday, September 13, 2010 3:21 PM
  • I have this same problem.. any info on how it was resolved?  
    Monday, February 6, 2012 3:13 PM
  • My problem was solved by utilizing the hardware VSS provider for our SAN.  This causes the access to the CSV to be in redirected mode for only a few minutes while the snapshot is being created.  As a result we can run additional VM protection jobs without having to wait for the first one to finish.
    Tuesday, March 27, 2012 3:22 PM