none
Tape Copy Job with other parameters than in the Protection Group RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all

We have a DPM 2012 R2 (with the newest updates).

Our Protection Groups are Backed Up daily to a Storage over iSCSI. On sundays the backup will be written on tape, which is encrypted (as we export the tapes on a monthly basis and need a secured tape). Everything works fine yet.

We are changing our backup infrastructure at the moment. We want to achieve following result:

- Daily Backup on the iSCSI Target (no changes here)

- New VTL appliance for weekly tape backups (no encryption here, because Deduplica will not work with encrypted files)

- Monthly Copy of the last week tape (Copy VTL Tape to LTO6-Tape) -> Copy-Job needs encryption.

- Automation of the monthly backups

I cannot use the integrated "Copy" function, as the enctyption will not done because it's not activated in the protection group.

I believe there might be a possibility with the Copy-DPMTapeDate powershell script, but I only found possibilities to manually choose a protected server to do the copy job. I want to be able to copy the latest week backups (from VTL) automatically and encrypted to the LTO-6 tape.

Is there any possibility?

The easyest way would be to create a second protection group, but this is not possible as one server can only be part of one protection group.

Thank you!

Thursday, August 31, 2017 1:42 PM

All replies

• Hey, 

You can try choosing -TapeOption when doing Copy-DPMTapeData. There are 3 options:

-- 0 Compress
    -- 1 Encrypt
    -- 2 NoCompressAndNoEncrypt

Hope this helps. More information could be found here

https://technet.microsoft.com/library/hh881741(v=sc.20).aspx

Cheers,

Alex Bykvoskyi

StarWind Software

Blog:   Twitter:   LinkedIn:  

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Tuesday, September 5, 2017 5:06 PM
  • Hi Alex

Thank you for the answer. But this is not what I am looking for.

I need to make a copy job from the last backup which was saved on disk. With the Copy-DPMTapeData it has to be a Tape. Yes, there is a Option to encrypt the copy job, but this is not what we need (as the Tape-Job might be to old for a copy-job. I need the most actual job on the storage).

So I tried to create a new recovery point with the New-DPMRecoveryPoint with the destination tape. This would work, but there is no Encrypt funtion for New-DPMRecoveryPoint.

It looks like there is no solution for this.

The easiest way would be that Microsoft would add an option in the Protection Group which makes us able to use different settings for a copy job. No luck here so far.

Thank you anyway!

Wednesday, September 6, 2017 5:55 PM