none
Reporting the amount of hours a team is scheduled work and show the amount of hours during the week / month of the during of the project RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there, I am new to project 2010. i would like to be able to report at team level how many hours various teams are scheduled to work. i would like to be able to show these values per week, per month and in total for the duration of the project. Please would you be able to help?

thanks, J

Saturday, February 4, 2012 9:06 PM

Answers

1. In the resource sheet, assign your team names in the Group column. This is one of 3 resource fields that be seen in the Gantt Chart.
    2. View the Task Usage View
    3. Creat a Group Team. Group on the Resource Group field

This should now show you what you need but you will need to adjust timescales etc.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book Rod Gill Project Management
    Saturday, February 4, 2012 10:25 PM
  • Hi Jackie,

Yes, certainly. 

1. Apply the Resource Usage view after ensuring you have assigned the appropriate department as the Group for each resource.
    2. On the View tab, open the Group by drop down and select More Groups.
    3. Select the Resource Group in the More Groups dialog and click Copy.
    4. Give the new group a name.
    5. You should see the existing definition:     Group by: Group     Field Type: Resource     Order: Ascending
    6. Enable (check) the box for "Group Assignments not resources"
    7. In the Then By row create a new entry:   Group by: Project   Field Type: Assignment  Order: Ascending
    8. In the next Then By row create a new entry:     Group by: Name      Field Type: Resource   Order: Ascending

Save the new group and apply it.  Does that get what you were hoping for?

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 1:57 PM
  • Hi Jackie,

Sorry for the delay getting back to you.  I see pretty much the timescale in print preview that I have when viewing the project file, so there may be something else going on here.  First, check and make sure you have SP-1 installed to Project.  In Project, choose File > Help and under the "About Microsoft Project" heading, click the hyperlink that says "Additional Version and Copyright Information".  The text "SP-1" should show up after the release information.  If you don't have SP-1 installed, the first step is to get that installed.

There was also a cumulative update (CU) release in June 2011 that dealt with printing reports -- and that may also be in play.  See:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2536590

for a description of the hotfix.  If SP-1 is installed and the problem persists, it may be work installing the June CU to see if that has any effect.  You may also need to "chop up" the printing of the view over several pages to make it look good.  In the File > Print command you have the ability to set a date range to print.

I hope this helps.

Julie

Friday, March 2, 2012 9:41 PM

All replies

1. In the resource sheet, assign your team names in the Group column. This is one of 3 resource fields that be seen in the Gantt Chart.
    2. View the Task Usage View
    3. Creat a Group Team. Group on the Resource Group field

This should now show you what you need but you will need to adjust timescales etc.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book Rod Gill Project Management
    Saturday, February 4, 2012 10:25 PM
  • thank you

J

Sunday, February 5, 2012 2:14 PM
  • Hi there

I have one more question... please

When you say Create a group team?

Also, please what do you mean by group on the Resource group field

Thank you in advance

J

Saturday, February 25, 2012 1:05 PM
  • Hi Jackie,

When you say Create a group team?

In the resource sheet view, there is a field called "Group".  Enter the name of the Group for each resource.

Also, please what do you mean by group on the Resource group field

1. Display the Task Usage view.
    2. Click the View tab.
    3. In the Data group select the Group by drop down and select "More Groups"
    4. In the dialog, select the "Resource" Group and Copy.
    5. Rename the New Group and change the Group by row to Resource Group.
    6. Save the group and Apply it.

Does this show what you need?

Saturday, February 25, 2012 3:21 PM
  • Thank you Julie

I am going to try later on and see if I can make it to work. I will explain how this question came about...

We have a file where we copy all projects in, current and in the pipeline, (we dont link the project or create master / sub-project structure). For the project in pipeline we estimate at very high level the resources effort that would be required to deliver the projects.

From this file we then need to provide senior managers some sort of report that reports at departmental level in the organisation the number of hours these team are utilised per week / month / quarter etc. I have looked at the work summary report, and I can see that this reports on resource level and maybe it could be useful to get it to report to department level. They are not particularly interested to see the values for the individual resources as they let us worry about that, they are interested in knowing that department xx will be able to deliver xy projects during zz quarter / month or if they are overallocated and in that situation they other get someone else on board, or delay the project

THis is the situation, what would you suggest? I am greatful for your thoughts

Thanks, J

Saturday, February 25, 2012 7:46 PM
  • You're welcome Jackie.

It sounds as though directly reporting off the Resource Usage view and applying the ready-made Resource Group group should work fine. 

I am a bit curious about the method you use to consolidate the projects -- what are you copying the data in instead of creating a temporary master project?  The other question I would have is about your resource definitions.  In order to get an accurate detail, you should be using a resource pool file -- where each resource is defined once.  You then connect the project files (without resources) to the pool.  The you can get a quick overview from the resource pool file for each resource.

see

http://www.siliconbeachtraining.co.uk/blog/microsoft-project-2010-how-to-use-resource-pools/

for information on Resource pools in Project 2010.

Saturday, February 25, 2012 10:48 PM
  • Thank you so much Julie

I will start from the top and try all your suggestions and get back with feedback

I see what you mean about the master-sub project file, it is just that for some "projects" we dont have a project file yet, just a few lines with high level resources estimates assigned to them. Maybe it is an idea to explore using this

Thank you again and speak soon

J

Sunday, February 26, 2012 2:46 PM
  • You're welcome, Jackie.  Even with a few lines and some very high level planning you could still include the project in a consolidated master.  You may not wish to save the master but create the consolidated file as needed.  By using a resource pool file, you have the resource usage data available without the master file.

Julie

Monday, February 27, 2012 1:20 PM
  • Hi there

I have managed to group by Resource Group but it is not really what we need

I had a look at the reources work summary report but I cannot find a way to report at Resources Group level, we dont wish to report on individual resources but at their departmental level

thanks, J

Monday, February 27, 2012 10:42 PM
  • Hi Jackie,

If you collapse up the Resource groups does this show what you need?  I'm guessing you entered the Department data in the Group field in the Resource sheet?

Monday, February 27, 2012 11:00 PM
  • Hi Julie

Nice to talk to you again!

Yes, the Resource Sheet has a column called Group, and that column is populated with the Department name that the Resource "belongs" to.

We need to show values per Department (with the availability to drill down the resource level) and also to group by project. At the moment the report shows all tasks and each resource / department

Sorry I dont think I explained properly in the first place. Is there a way to do this

Grateful for your time

J

Monday, February 27, 2012 11:20 PM
  • Hi Jackie,

You're welcome for the assistance.  Just to make sure we're on the same page:

You've created a consolidate project?

Have you created a resource pool?

When you view the Resource Usage view in the consolidate project you see all of the resources assigned and their assignments underneath?

When you apply the build-in Resource Group to the Resource Usage view, do you see what you need?

I would report (print) the Resource Usage view and not try to use the Resource Work Summary Report.  You can add the Resource Group field to that report, but it is not one of the pivot fields, so you cannot group by the field unless you remove the Pivot.

Does this help?

Julie

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 2:45 PM
  • Hi Julie

Thanks for getting back

Yes, I can see all the resources grouped by their deparments with their assignements underneath.

Is there a way to group by deparment, then by project & then by resources with the assignment showing underneath?

Thanks, J

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 11:51 PM
  • Hi Jackie,

Yes, certainly. 

1. Apply the Resource Usage view after ensuring you have assigned the appropriate department as the Group for each resource.
    5. You should see the existing definition:     Group by: Group     Field Type: Resource     Order: Ascending
    7. In the Then By row create a new entry:   Group by: Project   Field Type: Assignment  Order: Ascending
    8. In the next Then By row create a new entry:     Group by: Name      Field Type: Resource   Order: Ascending

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 1:57 PM
  • Hi Julie

This works great, thank you - the consolidated file is good

1) In summary, am I correct in assuming that you would not be able to do this without a resource pool?

2) The view is good but I need to print the report. I have adjusted the timescale on the screen but I cannot get to transfer that onto paper. Is there a way... please... really helpful

Thanks again, J

Thursday, March 1, 2012 5:45 PM
  • Hi Jackie,

Yes, certainly. 

Very good!
    Thursday, March 1, 2012 5:55 PM
  • Hi Jackie,

Good to hear that the group gives you what you need visually.

To your questions:

1) In summary, am I correct in assuming that you would not be able to do this without a resource pool?

You can do this without a resource pool file, the problem will be that if the resource "Jackie" is listed in each of the separate files, then the Resource Usage view in the master project will show you multiple times.  With a resource pool there is no need to create the master -- the pool file should work.

2) The view is good but I need to print the report. I have adjusted the timescale on the screen but I cannot get to transfer that onto paper. Is there a way... please... really helpful

That is likely going to take some playing around with.  I will comment that there are issues with printing views in Project 2010 that have been corrected by the latest updates.  You might want to adjust the number of columns you are showing in the table (left side) by pulling the timescale over.  You do definitely want to preview before printing.

Thursday, March 1, 2012 8:48 PM
  • Thank you Julie

Thanks for 1, I understand

Sorry about 2 didnt explain. I reduced the timescales to show values by months and quarters for 1.5 years and when I print the report I get the values in weeks. Is there a way to show a "condensed" report to replicate on the screen, please?

Thanks again

J

Thursday, March 1, 2012 8:56 PM
  • You're most welcome, Jackie, and thank you for the feedback.

What report are you trying to print?  I though you were trying to print the view.

Thursday, March 1, 2012 10:26 PM
  • Sorry yes I am trying to print the view that I see on the screen

Thanks J

Thursday, March 1, 2012 10:40 PM
  • Hi Jackie,

Sorry for the delay getting back to you.  I see pretty much the timescale in print preview that I have when viewing the project file, so there may be something else going on here.  First, check and make sure you have SP-1 installed to Project.  In Project, choose File > Help and under the "About Microsoft Project" heading, click the hyperlink that says "Additional Version and Copyright Information".  The text "SP-1" should show up after the release information.  If you don't have SP-1 installed, the first step is to get that installed.

There was also a cumulative update (CU) release in June 2011 that dealt with printing reports -- and that may also be in play.  See:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2536590

for a description of the hotfix.  If SP-1 is installed and the problem persists, it may be work installing the June CU to see if that has any effect.  You may also need to "chop up" the printing of the view over several pages to make it look good.  In the File > Print command you have the ability to set a date range to print.

I hope this helps.

Julie

Friday, March 2, 2012 9:41 PM
  • This is fab Julie, it all works

Thanks very much for all your help!

J

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 7:53 PM
  • Great.  Glad to know it's all sorted and thanks for the feedback.

Julie

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 1:17 AM