none
When Synching Project Professional with SharePoint, how do I keep the files organized? RRS feed

• Question

• Using the Sync option in Project Pro (Desktop), I save the WBS to SharePoint as a nice Gantt.  When I save another project, it wants to append (unless I use another name) The trouble is, I have lots of projects and I do not want to clutter up the navigation quicklaunch area.  Is there a way to use a folder?

©®

Charles Roberts

• Moved by GreggPJ - MSFT Friday, July 13, 2012 1:13 PM moving to correct forum queue (From:SharePoint 2010 - General Questions and Answers)
    Tuesday, July 10, 2012 11:37 PM

Answers

• What I have done is to create a new heading "Project Pro Library" with the URL pointing to the same as "Lists" with a "?BaseType=0" added to limit the list to the lists.  This exposes the other lists, but the users can be trained to use only the "Created by Microsoft Project" entries...

Not ideal, but serviceable, at present.

©®

Charles Roberts

• Marked as answer by Chas Roberts Monday, July 16, 2012 3:01 PM
    Monday, July 16, 2012 3:01 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for your post.

I'm trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue.

Xue-mei Chang

TechNet Community Support

Friday, July 13, 2012 9:59 AM
  • Hi Charles,

I'm afraid I don't follow.  When setting the initial sync you either select an existing list (which will append) or enter a new name, which will create a new task list. 

You can change what appears in the Quick Launch area by changing the List settings.  After you've created the list, click on the list, click the List Tools tab, List tab and select "List Settings". Under "General Settings" click the link for "Title, description and navigation" and choose "No" under "display this list on the Quick Launch"

You might find the following useful:

http://www.endusersharepoint.com/EUSP2010/2010/06/04/navigating-sharepoint-2010-part-2-the-quick-launch/

I hope this helps.

Julie

Friday, July 13, 2012 8:31 PM
  • Hello, Julie.  Thanks for replying. 

So you are saying that there is no way to set things up so that this happens automatically?  That is why I wanted to make a folder, so the clutter was hidden away automatically.  Also—using the method you suggest will preclude users being able to access the task gantt list in the future, as there will be no hyperlink, nor a path to one...  ( We use the Quick Launch without the Tree View for reasons of user clarity )

I was hoping for a way to establish a folder metaphor, that allowed them to save to an out of the way area, that still afforded a method of drilling down...  Also the "folder" would eliminate the need for a SysAdmin to come in and do cleanup on these Project Professional Gantt Lists...

©®

Charles Roberts

Monday, July 16, 2012 2:00 PM
  • Hi Charles,

To the best of my knowledge, no, not within Project.  Sharepoint really is in control of storage.  Users will still be able to access the task list by click the "List" heading in the Quick Launch bar to view the lists in the main window.

I am by no means a SharePoint expert - I'm barely above end-user.  I don't know if you might get some help in setup from the Sharepoint forum.  I hate to send you back there after they moved the post here -- but perhaps if you post the more specific question - "can I set up a folder to appear in the Quick Launch bar" would be better asked in the SP forum.

Monday, July 16, 2012 2:44 PM
  • What I have done is to create a new heading "Project Pro Library" with the URL pointing to the same as "Lists" with a "?BaseType=0" added to limit the list to the lists.  This exposes the other lists, but the users can be trained to use only the "Created by Microsoft Project" entries...

Not ideal, but serviceable, at present.

©®

Charles Roberts

• Marked as answer by Chas Roberts Monday, July 16, 2012 3:01 PM
    Monday, July 16, 2012 3:01 PM
  • Great and thanks for posting your resolution.

Julie

Monday, July 16, 2012 3:52 PM