none
Advise needed for 8 Project user setup RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I've been asked to supply and setup 8 copies of MS Project in way that allows the users to all work on the same project files at the same time.  2 of the 8 users will be purely working working remotely.

I was planning on setting them up a SBS2011 box and 8 Project Pro licences but I'm unsure as to whether or not they will require Project Server.

Could someone please let me know if this is going to be possible?  Or would it be best to bring in a MS Project consultant to set everything up?  

I'm very familar with SBS/AD etc..  but I've never had anything to do with Project before.

Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 9:11 AM

Answers

• Hello,

Have pulled together the following based on your questions - much of this is purely my opinion, but its based on my own experience of implementing MS Project so far, and I hope it is useful:

1. MS Project doesn't support concurrent editing of project files. If you have a large programme, you can divide it into sub-projects which are linked together to form a master schedule. This will allow each schedule to be locked out for edit by individuals, and this is the closest you can get to concurrent editing. If this is an absolutely mandatory requirement, you'd need to look at another product (I know Compuware Changepoint supports this - but there will be other products too).
    2. In my view, there's no value in buying Project Professional over Project Standard if you're not implementing Project Server. The only real benefit I see is that it would make a subsequent implementation of Project Server cheaper if you were to buy Professional licenses now.
    3. The decision on whether or not to implement Project Server depends purely on the requirements of the customer. For instance, do they intend to capture actuals against their schedules? If so, Project Server could be a sensible option (provided the users accept the constraint set out in the first item above). If they just want to build a integrated programme schedule showing the logic and ETCs, then Project Standard without server should suffice.
    4. The success of the implementation is dependent on the technical capabilities of your 8 users, as there are a lot of 'bad practices' that users can slip into if there isn't someone on the team with the skills, knowledge and confidence/authority/credibility to set out the ground rules that will apply when building the integrated schedule. If you haven't got that capability within the existing 8 users, the scope of your implementation should include upskilling one member of the team to take on the role of master scheduler.
    5. On whether or not to use consultancy, I'd say definitely if you decide that you want to go down the server route. If you decide to stick with Project Standard (without server), then the technical implementation is fairly straight forward - your just deploying an additional MS Office app to the workstations and providing a document store, but if none of your 8 users have experience of taking on the master scheduler role, I'd say you'll need to bring someone in to help them set up the ground rules for how they will build their schedules.

Good luck,

Andrew

• Marked as answer by aussietech2 Tuesday, November 27, 2012 10:01 AM
    Tuesday, November 27, 2012 9:55 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Have pulled together the following based on your questions - much of this is purely my opinion, but its based on my own experience of implementing MS Project so far, and I hope it is useful:

1. MS Project doesn't support concurrent editing of project files. If you have a large programme, you can divide it into sub-projects which are linked together to form a master schedule. This will allow each schedule to be locked out for edit by individuals, and this is the closest you can get to concurrent editing. If this is an absolutely mandatory requirement, you'd need to look at another product (I know Compuware Changepoint supports this - but there will be other products too).
    2. In my view, there's no value in buying Project Professional over Project Standard if you're not implementing Project Server. The only real benefit I see is that it would make a subsequent implementation of Project Server cheaper if you were to buy Professional licenses now.
    3. The decision on whether or not to implement Project Server depends purely on the requirements of the customer. For instance, do they intend to capture actuals against their schedules? If so, Project Server could be a sensible option (provided the users accept the constraint set out in the first item above). If they just want to build a integrated programme schedule showing the logic and ETCs, then Project Standard without server should suffice.
    4. The success of the implementation is dependent on the technical capabilities of your 8 users, as there are a lot of 'bad practices' that users can slip into if there isn't someone on the team with the skills, knowledge and confidence/authority/credibility to set out the ground rules that will apply when building the integrated schedule. If you haven't got that capability within the existing 8 users, the scope of your implementation should include upskilling one member of the team to take on the role of master scheduler.
    5. On whether or not to use consultancy, I'd say definitely if you decide that you want to go down the server route. If you decide to stick with Project Standard (without server), then the technical implementation is fairly straight forward - your just deploying an additional MS Office app to the workstations and providing a document store, but if none of your 8 users have experience of taking on the master scheduler role, I'd say you'll need to bring someone in to help them set up the ground rules for how they will build their schedules.

Good luck,

Andrew

• Marked as answer by aussietech2 Tuesday, November 27, 2012 10:01 AM
    Tuesday, November 27, 2012 9:55 AM
  • Hi,

Concurrent editing of a project file by more than 1 user is not possible even in Project Server mode, at a time only single user can edit a project;

Also, if more than 1 user edit a single copy without any version or access control system it would lead to in-consistency and may lead to plan corruption. I would suggest that you involve a PS consultant to get the best possible advises.

Sapna Shukla

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 9:59 AM
  • Andrew - thank you taking the time to promptly reply to my question.  I really appreciate your opinion and as such will be calling in a consultant to handle this one.

All the best mate.

Tim

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 10:04 AM
  • No worries - thanks for the feedback.
    Tuesday, November 27, 2012 10:06 AM