none
Sorry, there was a problem with your last request! 12345 RRS feed

• Question

• Sorry, there was a problem with your last request!

Either the site is offline or an unhandled error occurred. We apologize and have logged the error. Please try your request again or if you know who your site administrator is let them know too.

I have submitted a wiki article three times in succession and have even tried simple test wiki articles and all have resulted in this message.  Could someone at Microsoft please provide some information on what the issue is or at least flash a system down message.

I tried creating wiki articles with the following titles:

• SharePoint 2010: How to create a no-code drill-down chart
    • SharePoint 2010: create a no-code drill-down chart
    • SharePoint 2010: No-code drill-down chart
    • Test

All met with the same result.  What was interesting was that if I tried to enter the same article title again, after submitting it the first time and meeting with an error, I would experience a message indicating that that title had already been used.  So, the article must have been partially entered into the wiki backend.

Any assistance here would be appreciated, as presently I'm not confident about submitting more wiki articles.  The first time I submitted and lost the wiki article, I lost about 3 hours of work.  If that first one could be recovered, that would be most appreciated.

Sincerely,

Steve

• Edited by Stephan Bren Monday, October 28, 2013 1:22 PM Added content
    • Moved by Just KarlModerator Monday, October 28, 2013 4:27 PM Looking for the proper forum.
    Sunday, October 27, 2013 10:03 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

This forum is for discussions and questions regarding profiles and Microsoft's recognition system on the MSDN and TechNet sites. It is not for products/technologies.

As it's off-topic here, I am moving the question to the "TechNet Wiki Discussion" forum.

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

My Blog: http://unlockpowershell.wordpress.com
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join ("6B61726C6D69747363686B65406D742E6E6574"-split"(?<=\G.{2})",19|%{[char][int]"0x$_"})

Monday, October 28, 2013 4:27 PM
  • Sorry I didn't see this thread earlier. The TechNet Wiki has been experiencing performance problems this weekend (and still does). See this accouncement in the TechNet Wiki Dicussion forum:

TechNet Wiki Weekend Maintenance (26 & 27 October)

To best of my knowledge, your work is saved, even if you get an error (articles are created or edited). It's just that they do not appear in your profile, or in the recent activity list on the main Wiki page.

Earlier, I found the following articles you created:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/20593.sharepoint-2010-how-to-create-a-no-code-drill-down-chart.aspx
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/20594.sharepoint-2010-create-a-no-code-drill-down-chart.aspx
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/20596.sharepoint-2010-no-code-drill-down-chart.aspx

I marked the first two for deletion as duplicates. I decided the last one was the most complete (and it has a comment). I need to check if my comments got saved, but I suggested that once the other two get deleted, you can modify the title of the remaining article to whatever you prefer. Also, I suggested that you add the TOC to the remaining article (as you used in the first), and suggested you use "Heading 1" for the headers.

I just realized that the articles I flagged as duplicates (the first two above, with ID 20593 and 20594) have already been deleted. Sorry. All I can say is that when I viewed the articles a few hours ago they seemed to me to be identical, except that the first one used "Heading 1" for headers, had a TOC, and had fewer images.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Monday, October 28, 2013 4:30 PM
  • Outstanding.  Thank you.

One final note: I do not see this article appear in my profile Activity listing, and I think this led to my initial confusion about submitting the original article: it never appeared in the listing and thus I thought it hadn't been created at all after I had submitted it.

I just checked again, and it's still not there.  And it's not showing up in the number of wiki articles I have created thus far.  The non-code chart implementation should be wiki article #4. 

UPDATE (10/28/13 - 2:10 PM EST): experienced error trying to edit wiki article created the other day: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/20596.sharepoint-2010-no-code-drill-down-chart.aspx.

• Edited by Stephan Bren Monday, October 28, 2013 6:13 PM Update
    Monday, October 28, 2013 5:01 PM
  • Yes, that's a big problem. Sometimes after such events our profile gets updated later. I don't think that will happen, as it never seems to when we get timeout errors. In the past the meta data behind the Wiki gets updated (the weekly crawl by XAML guy of activity in the past week always seems to get everything), even though there is nothing in our profile. This tells me there is hope that they can update our profiles (and statistics), but it will most likely be a special process (since the automatic one failed).

Also, I just found this stub article that I also marked as a duplicate for deletion:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/20618.sharepoint-2010-create-a-no-code-drill-down-chart-in-sharepoint-2010.aspx

When I create articles, I use my name as one of the tags so I can always find it. Also, in this case I went to the main Wiki page and clicked on "More featured articles". For some reason, all activity shows here, but you have to page a lot to find it. You might also find new articles on the tab labeled "New Pages".

I just hope they make progress on solving these performance problems. People aren't going to contribute if their work is not reflected in their statistics.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Monday, October 28, 2013 5:17 PM
  • Thanks for the tip: I will enter "Bren" as a tag from now on. 
    Monday, October 28, 2013 6:14 PM
  • Yes, this is a good idea to mark own articles with a special name tag - this way it will be easier to find them.

Also, don't forget to add en-US (if articles are in English) to your new articles and if the article has images, we use 'has image' tag (make sure it's singular). If it has code, we use 'has code' tag.

You may want to check my article

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/19537.wiki-technical-editing.aspx

which tells you the basic checks for normal Wiki article to meet Wiki standards.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 5:10 PM
  • Yes, this is a good idea to mark own articles with a special name tag - this way it will be easier to find them.

I noticed that it was not easy for me to find my own articles so I have created a list locally for myself. This comment belongs elsewhere but I hope it is reasonable to make this short comment here.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Wednesday, October 4, 2017 9:32 PM