none
Exchange 2010 Hybrid Migrate Mailbox fail

Question

• After the Exchange 2010 Hybrid of O365, all look like good (can send & receive through O365), but I cannot migrate the mailbox from on-perm. to Online as the below error ... any idea??

---- Migrate Mailbox Error (Start) ----

Summary: 1 item(s). 0 succeeded, 1 failed.
    Elapsed time: 00:00:23

Peter Chan
    Failed

Error:
    Deserialization fails due to one SerializationException: System.Runtime.Serialization.SerializationException: Unable to find assembly 'Microsoft.Exchange.MailboxReplicationService.Common, Version=15.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3yyyyydxxxxx'.
       at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.BinaryAssemblyInfo.GetAssembly()
       at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.ObjectReader.GetType(BinaryAssemblyInfo assemblyInfo, String name)
       at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.ObjectMap..ctor(String objectName, String[] memberNames, BinaryTypeEnum[] binaryTypeEnumA, Object[] typeInformationA, Int32[] memberAssemIds, ObjectReader objectReader, Int32 objectId, BinaryAssemblyInfo assemblyInfo, SizedArray assemIdToAssemblyTable)
       at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.__BinaryParser.ReadObjectWithMapTyped(BinaryObjectWithMapTyped record)
       at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.__BinaryParser.Run()
       at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.ObjectReader.Deserialize(HeaderHandler handler, __BinaryParser serParser, Boolean fCheck, Boolean isCrossAppDomain, IMethodCallMessage methodCallMessage)
       at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.BinaryFormatter.Deserialize(Stream serializationStream, HeaderHandler handler, Boolean fCheck, Boolean isCrossAppDomain, IMethodCallMessage methodCallMessage)
       at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.BinaryFormatter.Deserialize(Stream serializationStream, HeaderHandler handler, Boolean fCheck, IMethodCallMessage methodCallMessage)
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.SerializationTypeConverter.<>c__DisplayClass3.<DeserializeObject>b__0()

Unable to find assembly 'Microsoft.Exchange.MailboxReplicationService.Common, Version=15.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3yyyyydxxxxx'.

Exchange Management Shell command attempted:
    '500ayyyy-xxxx-
    ---- Migrate Mailbox Error (End) ---- 

Tuesday, August 22, 2017 7:13 AM

Answers

• Hi,

If you deploy SSO, the UPN of the on-premises Active Directory user account and the Office 365 user ID must match.

And yes, we need enable MRS proxy, otherwise the mailbox migration will fails.

Regards,

Allen Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by edwinlcf Saturday, August 26, 2017 11:53 AM
    Thursday, August 24, 2017 6:15 AM

All replies

• Please checkout this earlier discussion with similar concern and it should help you to get rid of from this issue - https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/c9dead6b-aec5-4db8-b014-585ea5c19b54/deserialization-fails-due-to-one-serializationexception?forum=exchangesvrdeploy

Here is another KB which covers the same error and how it could be resolved proficiently - https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_o365admin-mso_dep365/deserialization-fails-due-to-one/622af5de-e28a-4fd3-8058-3b104d584c61?auth=1

By the way, to avoid the possible interruptions during mailbox and public folder migration, I would suggest to use any third party tool like Lepide's exchange migrator.

This tool provides pre-migration analysis in order to get complete overview of your current environment, analyze things such as item counts, mailboxes and Public Folder sizes to plan your migration accordingly.

Tuesday, August 22, 2017 7:55 AM
  • Hi,

How about run mailbox migration in Exchange Online portal or Exchange Online PowerShell?
    Does this issue occur on all user mailboxes?

This issue might be arise if the user mailbox has email addresses for domains Office 365 does not know, or UPN not match with Office 365 account.
    Therefore, please double check the email address and UPN in local Exchange and Exchange side:
    Get-Mailbox <Mailbox> | FL *address*,UserPrincipalName

Regards,

Allen Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 23, 2017 7:46 AM
  • Thanks Allen,

I used the AAD to sync the AD users to O365, that must match the UPN?
    Should I need enable the MRS Proxy?
    https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/office/Understanding-MRS-Proxy-20b37555

Thursday, August 24, 2017 3:58 AM
  • Thanks Peter,

As the link 2, should I set the same of ExchangeGUID between on-perm. and online mailbox? That is for O365 to on-perm. back??

As the link 1, I installed the SP3 with the latest RollUp already

• Edited by edwinlcf Thursday, August 24, 2017 4:03 AM
    Thursday, August 24, 2017 4:00 AM
  • Hi,

If you deploy SSO, the UPN of the on-premises Active Directory user account and the Office 365 user ID must match.

And yes, we need enable MRS proxy, otherwise the mailbox migration will fails.

Regards,

Allen Wang

• Marked as answer by edwinlcf Saturday, August 26, 2017 11:53 AM
    Thursday, August 24, 2017 6:15 AM
  • If you ran AAD Connect, then the mailbox users should have synced to O365 as mail-enabled users (with a mailbox guid).

The six things necessary for a mailbox migration to be successful are generally:

1. User mailbox must have a valid synchronized MEU in Office 365.  A valid MEU will have an ExchangeGuid that matches the corresponding user on-premises.  It's best if your UPN matches your primary SMTP address for Autodiscover and auth purposes, but not necessary for mailbox migrations.  Here's an example script I posted in they gallery to copy the primary SMTP address to the UPN value: https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Set-Upn-With-Mail-Address-c4d0ee60
    2. User must not have any SMTP proxies on their mailbox for domains not validated in the tenant.  If you have @abc.com in your tenant but the mailbox you're attempting to move has an @abc.com and an @def.com, your migration will fail with an error that it's not an accepted domain.  Here's an example script I posted in the gallery: https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Remove-Exchange-Proxy-eb5be217
    3. User must have a proxy address that matches the tenant mail address in Office 365.  That will be used as the targetAddress / RemoteRoutingAddress for the converted mail-enabled user object on-premises.  If you have run the Hybrid Configuration Wizard, email address policies that match the domains included in the hybrid configuration will be updated with "tenant.mail.onmicrosoft.com" as a proxy address.  If your user account has EmailAddressPolicyEnabled set to $false, this won't get updated and you'll need to add the a proxy address manually, via an AAD Connect rule, or via a script.  Here's an example script that I posted in the gallery: https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Add-Office-365-Tenant-93391e4c
    4. MRSProxy must be enabled on your internet-facing CAS servers used in the hybrid configuration wizard.
    5. External-facing CAS server used for mailbox migrations must have a valid 3rd-party signed SSL certificate.
    6. Mailboxes being migrated *must* have object inheritance enabled. Here's an example script I posted in the gallery that will check for object inheritance. https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Find-and-Fix-Broken-Object-5ae18ab1

If all of those are set, I would:

- Make sure you're up-to-date on your CUs

- Make sure you've run the hybrid configuration wizard from the portal (the new OneClick app)

- Attempt to move a mailbox using either PowerShell or the Exchange Online portal

Friday, August 25, 2017 7:05 PM
  • Thanks Allen, after I enabled the MRS proxy, that is working.
    Saturday, August 26, 2017 11:54 AM
  • Great, thanks for your update and sharing.
    If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Regards,

Allen Wang

Monday, August 28, 2017 1:52 AM