none
MDT build 8443 breaking Sysprep and Capture

Question

• We recently updated one of our MDT servers to MDT build 8443 that was just released.  Everything had been working fine until we went to sysprep and capture via a standalone Capture Task Sequence.  Basically what is happening is whether we boot to the MDT Deployment Share or manually kick off the LiteTouch script to start the Deployment Wizard, after we select the standalone Sysprep and Capture task sequence in the wizard we are not getting the Capture Screen in the wizard where you select to sysprep and capture and specify the file name / location, etc.  It just skips right to the computer name / domain join screen. 

We have verified that SkipCapture=NO in our customsettings.ini and have even created new sysprep and capture task sequences but nothing seems to work.    

Just wondering if anyone else has ran into this since updating to MDT build 8443 and has found a fix for it yet.

Thanks.

Thursday, December 01, 2016 8:53 PM

Answers

• Just a FYI to everyone concerned about the bug...

We opened an Premier support case with Microsoft regarding this and they identified it as a bug within the ZTIUtility.vbs script in the \Scripts folder.

Per the resolution:

Look for this line: 

If (oTS.SelectSingleNode("//step[@type='BDD_InstallOS']") is nothing) and (oTS.SelectSingleNode("//step[@type='BDD_UpgradeOS']") is nothing) then

And change it to:

If (oTS.SelectSingleNode("//step[@type='BDD_InstallOS' and @disable='false']") is nothing) and (oTS.SelectSingleNode("//step[@type='BDD_UpgradeOS' and @disable='false']") is nothing) then

We made this modification on the recommendation of the Microsoft Engineer and verified that it correctly displayed the Capture Screen and Computer Details screen of the Deployment Wizard.  We were able to sysprep and capture again as normal afterwards.

Hope this helps!

• Proposed as answer by Baz_UK Friday, February 24, 2017 10:57 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ian Nunley Friday, March 17, 2017 5:04 PM
    Wednesday, December 07, 2016 2:22 PM

All replies

• Join the club

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/e4418f2d-cf0b-4a76-8f2d-8f776d004c24/capture-image-is-missing-from-mdt-8443?forum=mdt

Friday, December 02, 2016 1:36 PM
  • Thanks for the link.  I missed seeing that thread when I did a search for existing ones.
    Friday, December 02, 2016 1:48 PM
  • Just a FYI to everyone concerned about the bug...

We opened an Premier support case with Microsoft regarding this and they identified it as a bug within the ZTIUtility.vbs script in the \Scripts folder.

Per the resolution:

Look for this line: 

If (oTS.SelectSingleNode("//step[@type='BDD_InstallOS']") is nothing) and (oTS.SelectSingleNode("//step[@type='BDD_UpgradeOS']") is nothing) then

And change it to:

If (oTS.SelectSingleNode("//step[@type='BDD_InstallOS' and @disable='false']") is nothing) and (oTS.SelectSingleNode("//step[@type='BDD_UpgradeOS' and @disable='false']") is nothing) then

We made this modification on the recommendation of the Microsoft Engineer and verified that it correctly displayed the Capture Screen and Computer Details screen of the Deployment Wizard.  We were able to sysprep and capture again as normal afterwards.

Hope this helps!

• Proposed as answer by Baz_UK Friday, February 24, 2017 10:57 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ian Nunley Friday, March 17, 2017 5:04 PM
    Wednesday, December 07, 2016 2:22 PM
  • Ian Nunley you are a total star! (also cheers to edywerder on Spiceworks for pointing to here).

I spent the best part of the morning looking at the variables in the task sequence trying to work out what wasn't being picked up, and what new variable I might need to add. Doh.

Only just upgraded with the latest 8443 installer download, so can confirm MS still haven't fixed this - crazy! Then again, they haven't fixed the need for a wait command in Lighttouch.wsf for 5 versions, so I don't know why I'm surprised! :)

Tuesday, March 07, 2017 12:42 PM
  • Thank you!! you're a life saver! If MS knows about this bug, I'm wondering why someone needs to open a ticket to find out what's going on. They have places to publish Known Issues, you know.
    Friday, March 17, 2017 5:02 PM
  • OMG Thank you.  I hope microsoft gets this problem fixed quickly otherwise people are gonna have major head aches trying to sysprep and capture images.

Dudefoxlive

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 6:45 PM
  • This also worked for me. Thank you sir!
    Sunday, May 07, 2017 1:01 AM
  • it is really amazing that why Microsoft does not test before releasing to public.

the fix worked for me as well.

Thanks for the info.

• Edited by Saeidans Wednesday, May 24, 2017 7:13 PM
    Wednesday, May 24, 2017 6:46 PM
  • The issue that I'm having is that it gets all the way to the wizard. Once i click on the task sequence and rename it the installation progress window disappears and nothing happens. Any ideas?

Wednesday, June 21, 2017 7:47 PM
  • Editing the ZTIUtility.vbs script fixed the issue for me:

Look for this line: 

And change it to:

• Edited by stevefrat20 Wednesday, June 21, 2017 9:15 PM
    Wednesday, June 21, 2017 8:11 PM
  • It is hard to believe that this has been allowed to go on so long without getting addressed!  Why doesn't everyone run into this problem - or maybe they do and just put up with it. I will just keep using the old MDT -or a third party tool that works properly.

Monday, September 11, 2017 10:50 PM
  • Gdunlop99, I agree with your sentiment, but why not just change the script as above?

Just make a 'vanilla' backup copy of the original script, and then change the live one - it's as simple as that (albeit I concur should be completely unnecessary).

As to why everyone doesn't experience it, that's a good question. Perhaps a lot of of people update their images so rarely they haven't encountered it yet. Possibly there is a setting included in some (freshly created?) task sequences that allows for this to work without editing. Or perhaps everyone who needs to fix this is just applying the fix above when they find it, and collectively sighing at Microsoft.

It would be interesting to know, but unfortunately people without a problem rarely visit a specific problem thread to explain that it hasn't affected them. 

Tuesday, September 12, 2017 11:55 AM
  • I followed this bug fix and got Windows 10 task sequence to properly function, but when I try to capture a Windows 7 reference image, I get no options...straight from login to  "task selection" to "Begin"
    Tuesday, November 07, 2017 6:57 PM
  • Definitely works for us with both Windows 7 and Windows 10 Andy, so not sure why it wouldn't for you.

I would suggest creating a brand new Windows 7 task sequence and see if that works, and if it does rebuild your task sequence ... from experience I've found that occasionally you can have legacy settings in task sequences that don't always play nice as you upgrade through the revisions.

Wednesday, November 08, 2017 8:48 AM
  • Thanks for providing this.  I implemented the changes to the ZTIUtility.vbs file but All I get in the task sequence is a credentials screen.  Nothing more.  I enter the correct credentials and no options to capture the image or tell it where to capture to.  I have re-created my task sequences and updated the deployment share to no avail.

EDIT:  Nevermind, I didn't realize that my production Deployment share had SkipCapture=YES

Friday, September 14, 2018 11:02 PM