A weird freeze with no solution all over the internet help please RRS feed

• Question

• Guys I have the following rig:

core i7 920

Gigabyte x58a-ud3r

Kingston 2gb 1600 hyperX

HD W.D. 1TB ears

ATI XFX 5770

The problem is whenever i play a media file in windows media player the whole system freezes and even the keyboard lamps would have no respond,this happens when playing a media file (i've tried mkv and avi) for sometime more than a minute but it would freeze without reaching 15 minutes,.

The weird thing is that playing the same files in VLC media player works fine and i"ve watched Avatar completely without any problem,and it used to freeze on wmp.

The real issue here is not that, Iam an engineer and i work on AutoCAD 2011, but the system freezes the same way randomly after opening and working in the CAD.

Another thing, i leave the computer for many  hours downloading,play hardware needy games,prime95 testing and no problems occured.

I've tried updating BIOS,modifying settings,returning them to default.

This all DID NOT WORK.help me Guys I'm stuck on this with no solution all over the internet.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 9:12 PM

Answers

• Since i was keen on solving the problem,

I've installed a clean win 7 x64 after formatting the old win 7 x86.

results:

1)the freeze problem has no changes.

2)I've noticed a slowdown in the system performance.it is slow as if it is installed on a celeron processot not an i7.(I've bought a new ram module which is typical to the old and no problem in them both)

• Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Tuesday, August 31, 2010 9:55 AM
    Friday, August 20, 2010 4:10 PM

All replies

• Do you have one module of RAM or two ?
    If two 1gb slots, then run only 1 module.

Also, if you can bring down your speed of RAM from 1600Mhz to half by 800Mhz and then run your applications.
    Its an endless known issue running all across the technet and on the internet forums.

More you will search the forums, more you will see it. I have been seeing this trend from past one month including my own enterprise environment.
    Hope you get some help and we get this looked my Microsoft.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowssearch/thread/17e1a927-7552-45d8-bfd2-503cc89dd1c7/#1c27d212-c3d6-4f9a-83f6-1971fc939600

"Do it yourself, before you think someone else will" - Mani Babbar - 18.08.10
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 9:25 PM
  • Thanks for replying,

About the RAM module it is the only sitter in the RAM Banks.

But there is an issue that is strange, everything used to be fine when i bought the computer four or five months ago, but a month ago it started.

The motherboard,the CPU,the RAM,the harddisk,the PSU,The temperature,even the codecs. They all were suspicious to me.

So now im very confused hoping that Microsoft finds a Fix or identify the problem.

Thanks very much if you have any updates or found the cause or even the problem just write it here.

P.S: The topic link you have posted is somehow different to me because my PC freezes on the same screen of the movie (doesnt go black).

AH, I've remembered something, in the very begining of the problem, the media player while playing sometimes it used to show me a BSOD saying this "A Secondary clocl interrupt was not recieved in the allocated time interval" but this stopped from a long time now it is an only freeze.

this BSOD made me reset everything in the BIOS to its safe defaults to guarantee that there is no OC problems (I have never OCed the PC)and the problem persists after even updating the bios with no modifications in it since then.

Thanks again

Thursday, August 19, 2010 12:04 AM
  • Are you able to run this movie in a different player than the one you use. It could be - that the memory leak has registered itself in one place that each time the memory buffers that section, it causes it to black screen.

I would recommend you to check the system logs as well to see if you have recorded information for the memory dump to see what causes it.

What happens if you play another movie, than the one that causes it to freeze ? Does that works all fine, Also any other symptoms of the issue.

Cheers

Thursday, August 19, 2010 9:42 AM
  • Yes,I am able to play movies in VLC player (but i am enabling gpu acceleration,might be helpful).

This problem occurs for all movies of different formats (AVI,mp4,mkv) but only when played in wmp.

Plus, my screen doesnt go black it just stands still on the last scene of the movie when it had hanged,even the CAD (just freeze the screen but no mouse movement no keyboard reply nothing at all),so this forces me to make a hard reset.

i've removed the codecs and played a movie for about 30 minutes with no hang ups,but....

A new freeze occured yesterday, i was playing a movie in wmp it lasted for a 30 minutes so i said it was ok (the movie played with no sound)so i tried to play some songs in vlc while the movie is playing silently to ensure that this wasnt a sound problem. Then it freezed.

this new freeze has not happened before, vlc never freezed the system.

Thursday, August 19, 2010 1:22 PM
  • Another thing, it also freezes when i shut down the PC (on the blue screen of shutting down),it just freezes with the rotating circle stopped.
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 1:39 PM
  • Interesting, pretty interesting !! Looks like the WMP is registering itself in the bad registers. One thing is very sure - then, it is WMP logged in as a broken app registering these freeze locks.

Not sure at this point, but I would recommend manual rip of WMP and re-install of windows media player. If doesnt works, a Repair install(over the top) installation would be best in that case.

But for sure : try running SFC /SCANNOW from an elevated CMD prompt , FiRst.

Thursday, August 19, 2010 3:08 PM
  • Since i was keen on solving the problem,

I've installed a clean win 7 x64 after formatting the old win 7 x86.

results:

1)the freeze problem has no changes.

2)I've noticed a slowdown in the system performance.it is slow as if it is installed on a celeron processot not an i7.(I've bought a new ram module which is typical to the old and no problem in them both)

• Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Tuesday, August 31, 2010 9:55 AM
    Friday, August 20, 2010 4:10 PM