none
Using Microsoft XPS Document writer as default printer for all clinets

Question

• Hi

Our Infrastructure contain 300 windows 8.1 and 4 domain controllers and print servers, relaying on Group policy to deploy 50 printers to different organizational units

all users are using Mandatory user profile

My problem is printers are showing by 50:50 each time user logs on to the computers ! i have posted my issue in more than three different places with no solution , i believe the issue is related to mandatory profile and can not be fixed .

since the printers are essential for our infrastructure i was thinking about redirecting XPS document writer to actual physical printers that hosted on our print server By modifying Ports tab on xps document writer printer object , actually i have done that but when i press a test page it will print nearly 300 pages with unknown Encoding characters! anybody done this or have the same issue ?

the reason for my idea is xps object is always there ,it does not require GPO and it is fully functioning with Mandatory profiles

my idea looks like crazy but trust me i don't have other options

Kind Regards

_S

Monday, June 25, 2018 11:27 AM

Answers

• Just look for posts like this one

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/af9cb80c-1692-4fbe-a290-3f5287d53cb6/windows-2008-standard-printing-to-client-shared-printer?forum=winserverprint

I've posted this solution many times here.

Alan Morris formerly with Windows Printing Team

• Marked as answer by Shad Qadir Monday, August 20, 2018 4:38 PM
    Wednesday, August 15, 2018 6:16 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi,
    Based on the complexity and the specific situation, we need do more researches. If we have any updates or any thoughts about this issue, we will keep you posted as soon as possible. Your kind understanding is appreciated. If you have further information during this period, you could post it on the forum, which help us understand and analyze this issue comprehensively.
    Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding and patience.
    Best Regards,

Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, June 26, 2018 9:16 AM
  • Hi Shad,

There are a few other folks on this forum willing to assist.  I don't think it's that complex.

You can only successfully send XPS content to a printer when it supports the XPS PDL, Page Description Language.  Some Xerox devices will support this natively.

It is by design that redirecting PDL to a printer that does not support the PDL, will generate pages of encoding characters.  Try sending PCL 6 to a printer that only supports PS. 

My questions: What does the Windows PrintService events state for the printer addition?  Are there any failures?  I would absolutely enable the PrintService / Operational logs to get a better picture.

If the PrintService events are not revealing, the failure could be in the process you are using to create the printer connections.  Events will probably be in Windows Logs.  Try Applications first, then take a look at the System logs.

I have not heard of Mandatory profiles before.

What Windows version is the print server?

Tuesday, July 10, 2018 5:16 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi Alan,

thanks for your replay

i Have done this successfully by changing the port and installing the desired print driver then the XPS object now can print directly to the printer without any issue

now i have another problem :

our school environment have a third party program that controls printed papers and it will deduct credits from students balance in the printing system ,the third party program is sitting on the print server and will monitor all print jobs through its ports (instead connecting printers to the print server Via standard TCP|IP port we connected them using third party program port)

basically redirecting XPS object to the printers will bypass the third party program since its ports only available on the print server ONLY not on the clients

thanks

Wednesday, July 11, 2018 12:36 PM
  • Hi,

So printing directly to the device is out of play.  I get that.

Can you use the Windows LPD service on the print server and just add the printers as local printers on the clients to get the jobs to the server?  Many posts in this forum to configure this.

Monday, July 23, 2018 7:29 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

thanks for your replay

can you please explain more ?

Monday, August 13, 2018 2:39 PM
  • Just look for posts like this one

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/af9cb80c-1692-4fbe-a290-3f5287d53cb6/windows-2008-standard-printing-to-client-shared-printer?forum=winserverprint

I've posted this solution many times here.

• Marked as answer by Shad Qadir Monday, August 20, 2018 4:38 PM
    Wednesday, August 15, 2018 6:16 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi Alan,

i don't know how to thank you for the solution !, actually i have been looking for this solution since February this year

we use mandatory profiles for all of our labs half of the times printers will not deploy properly due to registry restrictions {i was debugging it using Windows Sysinternals quite long story} but all of the sudden i was thinking about XPS printer object witch is not require any deployment it is there all the time for that all i have to do is point it to right printer object and use the right driver.....thanks for your LPD part

your solution was great thank you

i have to write Powershell script that configure the following for each clinet :

• enables LPD feature using dism
    • add proper port uisng lPD way
    • add proper driver
    • rename xps printer object to more friendly name according to computers location

as for now i have tested on few clients it will work like a charm and since i have seen a lots of people have the same issue here and there as soon as i have complete solution i will post it somewhere on technet

again many thanks

Shad

Monday, August 20, 2018 4:38 PM