none
Backing up Cluster Shared Volumes with DPM RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Could someone please advise the correct procedure to allow us to backup the entire VHD's on a cluster shared volume.

2 x Server 2008 R2 hyper-v servers using cluster shared volume

1 x Virtual DPM 2012 server

QNAP server presented to backup via iSCSI

In order to backup the entire VHD's, does DPM need to be installed on one of the Hyper-V hosts? If not, how do I correctly configure DPM to allow the CSV to be backed up. Currently I have the hosts being backed up but when I go to recover, I can browse the CSV but not the volumes inside and therefore cant see or recover th VHD's.

Thanks

Thursday, April 11, 2013 6:15 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You don't backup Hype-V Guests by protecting the CSV Volume directly, you have to install a DPM agent on each node of the cluster, then, when you create a protection group, you expand out the cluster and protect the hyper-V guests.  They will either be shown as \Backup using child partition\VMNAME - or \Backup using saved state\VMNAME. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, April 11, 2013 10:22 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply. The DPM agent is currently on both hyper-v hosts and these are part of a protection group. However, when I expand the Host from within the protection group there is no sign of the Hyper-v guests as you stated. Has something likely been configured incorrectly? We can restore individual files ok from within the guests but we also need to backup the entire VM's.

Thanks

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 2:07 PM
  • Hi,

Found the correct option, this had initially been setup incorrectly. Now correctly sleected via cluster

Thanks

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 2:48 PM
  • Hi,

It sounds like the Hyper-V writer problem.  On each node open a administrative command prompt, then Run: VSSADMIN LIST WRTERS and check if the hyper-V writer is in the output.

The Hyper-V writer on the hyper-V host communicates with the integration components inside the guest and determines if child partition or saved state backup will be performed.

To get a real-time view of how then next backup will be performed, you can run the following test.

To list hyper-V writer captions for guests to see if online or saved state backups can be done:

From an administrative command prompt:

a. Type: copy con script.txt and press enter
     b. Type: list writers and press enter
     c. Press CTRL + Z (to save)
     d. Type: diskshadow /s script.txt | find /i "caption: backup using"

Output will be displayed for each guest.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Proposed as answer by AllyRussell Wednesday, July 3, 2013 9:23 PM
    Tuesday, April 16, 2013 3:00 PM