Build a cluster using DC as a node RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, there.

Here is the question:

- A customer asked about using a server cluster:

The environment uses a stand-alone Windows 2012 Server, which moves Active Directory, DNS Services and file storage.

Can we build a cluster adding to this one another Windows 2012 Server?

It seems that OS does not support adding DC as a node in a cluster, but the building guides doesn't tell anything about this.

I've tried to do, and during previous check a message appeared:

--------

Validate the configuration of Active Directory
    Description: it Validates that all nodes have the same domain role domain and organizational unit.
    Validating that all nodes have the same domain role domain and organizational unit.
    Role Domain FQDN domain name site Organizational Unit
    EVM-MAD-SVR1.ev-mad.local ev-mad.local Unknown error. Default-First-Site-Name OU = Domain Controllers
    EVM-MAD-SVR2.ev-ev-mad.local mad.local Primary Domain Controller Default-First-Site-Name OU = Domain Controllers

Could not determine the role of some domain servers.
    It could not be determined if the EVM-MAD-SVR1.ev-mad.local node is a domain controller read only because of this error: Object does not exist.

-------

I need arguments to justify an answer to my customer, or a guide to solve this issue.

Thanks,
    Sunday, April 24, 2016 6:46 AM

Answers

• Hi

Microsoft does not support combining the AD DS role and the failover cluster feature in Windows Server 2012,

Check the article ; https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2795523

Also you can confgure 2 Hyper-v cluster node,then configure 2 Domain Controller on these different nodes.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

Sunday, April 24, 2016 9:29 AM

All replies

• Hi

Microsoft does not support combining the AD DS role and the failover cluster feature in Windows Server 2012,

Check the article ; https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2795523

Also you can confgure 2 Hyper-v cluster node,then configure 2 Domain Controller on these different nodes.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

Sunday, April 24, 2016 9:29 AM
  • Hi, Burak Uğur

Thanks a lot for your reply.

The article you told me to check was one of the main reasons I've wanted to confirm.

Regards,

Iván González

Sunday, April 24, 2016 10:05 AM