none
Internet Explorer Crashing on Startup. Windows 10 LTSB 2016- How to Enable Logging? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm working with Windows 10 LTSB 2016

The issue I'm having is the IE keeps crashing at startup.  IE will go to not responding and will ultimately exit with no errors in the application event log.  I cannot get it to open a single time.

I'm interested in how to enable logging to see if I can figure out what the issue it.  So far we have tried starting IE safe mode and it didn't help. 

Friday, June 16, 2017 3:05 PM

Answers

• I figured it out in the end after banging my head on the wall for a half day.

The privilege management software we are installing during deployment was not configured correctly and was preventing the Windows installer service from functioning correctly and interfering with IE on first launch. The solution was to remove that software from the task sequence until we can get a new version and configuration specific for Windows 10. 

Monday, June 19, 2017 5:05 PM

All replies

• Hi,

first try

winkey+r>iexplore.exe -extoff "about:blank"

or

iexplore.exe -private

(the first step in troubleshooting any web browser issues is to test in noAddons mode)... all web browsers (not only IE) have problems with incompatible, malicious or unsupported browser extensions and addons.

The windows event viewer can be accessed from

winkey+s>Event Viewer

or

Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Event Viewer

IT is likely that a combination of your client homepage settings and the ActiveX controls that are used on those pages that is causing IE to crash... If safe mode does not work, suggests to me that updates for the Adobe Flash player have not been applied or your client homepage contains an object tag that uses an out of date macro-media flash CLSID.

You could also test by manually changing the Homepage setting to about:blank. Control Panel>Internet Options>General tab, use a blank page for your ONLY homepage.

It may be that the windows event viewer is not capturing any error events...use procmon.exe to monitor the registry read/writes to the IE and userprofile nodes during the first IE startup.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Friday, June 16, 2017 8:10 PM
  • I figured it out in the end after banging my head on the wall for a half day.

The privilege management software we are installing during deployment was not configured correctly and was preventing the Windows installer service from functioning correctly and interfering with IE on first launch. The solution was to remove that software from the task sequence until we can get a new version and configuration specific for Windows 10. 

Monday, June 19, 2017 5:05 PM