none
Project Level Calculation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I am trying to get cost info based on a summary task name and want to total it up to Project Level - Level 0. Summary task resides at at Level 1. I tried few ways, but I cannot seem to get summary task level cost at Project Level based on task name.

Is there a way?

Thank you,

SJ

• Edited by SJ_PPM Friday, October 25, 2013 7:28 AM grammar
    Friday, October 25, 2013 7:16 AM

All replies

• Hi SJ,

Are you trying to use the default cost functionalities available? Or are you making use of Cost Type custom fields?

Kindly throw some more light on what exactly are you looking to do, and what have you already tried.

Thanks

Atul

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 9:51 AM
  • Hi

Thank you for your response.

Of course I am using default cost functionalities. The Default cost functionality is providing me with my baseline cost, forecast cost and actual cost.

All I want to do is only get cost information of a particular Summary Task at Level 0 (Project Summary Level). Right now, if I use filters it is still calculating total project cost, which is fine.

I was trying to use Cost Type Custom feild to look at this Summary name and give me the cost. For example, I want to get cost information for a Summary Task called 'Phase 1' at Project Summary Level.

I wanted to get a View something like this:

Total Project Cost Total Project Baseline Cost Phase Cost Phase One Baseline Cost Phase 2 Cost Phase 2 Baseline Cost Phase 3 Cost Phase 3 Baseline Cost etc...all at Project Summary Level.

Friday, November 8, 2013 10:06 AM
  • Phase-by-phase costs reported at Project Summary level?  And the phase data you need is coming from various Summary tasks?  If this is a one-off, your best bet is to export the data to Excel and do the manual data manipulations there. 

Filter your Project Pro view down to only the Summary Tasks that interest you.  Copy the Name column and the Cost column and Paste it into Excel.  Copy the data again--while in Excel but this time Paste it--to a new location--but using the Paste Transpose feature (i.e. turns columns into rows).  You'll get a one-liner Cost Report with Phase Costs in all the columns--a little closer to what you are seeking.

There are, of course, ways to automate this with VBA, Excel, or SSRS.

Friday, November 8, 2013 5:43 PM
  • I agree with Ed, you could use custom cost fields with formulas and some kind of roll up - but unless this is a common requirements across many similar projects it doesn't make much sense.  Excel may be easier.

Best regards,

Brian

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page

Monday, November 11, 2013 7:29 AM
    Owner
  • Hi SJ --

I may have a solution for you, but first a few questions:

1. Is there a fixed number of phases in the project for which you want to roll up the cost data, or does it change?
    2. Do you want to do this for a single project, or do you want to do this for multiple projects?
    3. If multiple projects, do they all have the same fixed number of phases, or does it vary from one project to the next?

Your answers to these questions will determine if it makes sense to create some custom fields for rolling up cost data to the Project Summary level... or if you should simply export the data to Excel for manual manipulation & reporting.

Good luck!

-- tz

Tony Zink | Vice President, EPMA | http://www.epmainc.com | Blog: http://www.epmablog.com | Training: http://www.epmainstitute.com

Monday, November 11, 2013 2:23 PM
  • Apologies for the delayed response. and thank you very much for your response.

Here are your answers:

1. Is there a fixed number of phases in the project for which you want to roll up the cost data, or does it change?

Yes, fixed number of phases.

2. Do you want to do this for a single project, or do you want to do this for multiple projects?

Multiple projects

3. If multiple projects, do they all have the same fixed number of phases, or does it vary from one project to the next?

Yes, they have the same fixed number of phases.

Monday, December 9, 2013 5:06 PM