Login Failed Creating Report in Distributed Setup RRS feed

• Question

• I have read the PPS Setup Guide and still scratching my head.

The current set up

SQL Databases   Box02

Analysis Server   Box08

PPS Monitoring Services Box09

MOSS Box 03 and 04 NLB

PPS and Monitoring Services runnung same AppPool account which is a domain user

Cube has the AppPool account in the admin role.

SQL box has AppPool account as db admin role.

IIS right now is configured as NTLM and not Negotiate. I am not running per user connection on the monitoring server.

Client is XP I can connect to Box09:40000 and start the dashboard designer (domain admin account)

I can create a new DataSource to a AS cube and connection test is successful and published without issue.

I can create a new Report, drag in measures and dimensions but I get a failed login attempt  with no login name listed.

Profiling AS I see the connection using the AppPool account and the MDX statement listed with the AppPool Account.

I have attempted to put in kerberos, connection per user setting in the web config and generally cannot even connect to the datasource.

Any thoughts?

Friday, April 11, 2008 7:26 PM

Answers

•  

Hello,

This may not be your issue, but sounds really close to the issue alot of users have with Analysis services and the "Double Hop" issue that arises.

In Analysis Services, a "Double Hop" occurs when the client is not directly connected to the Analysis Services Server, such as when remotely browsing a SharePoint site that is configured to retrieve data from Analysis Services (Like a Dashboard page with KPI indicators that get their data from a cube hosted on a remote Analysis Services instance). In order to correctly deal with double hop authentication, Kerberos (The underlying authentication mechanism used by Active Directory) must be able to properly pass the user's credentials to Analysis Services. In order to accomplish this, Analysis Services must be configured to utilize Kerberos properly, which is not done automatically when installing Analysis Services.

Below is a link to this article:

http://portal.sqltrainer.com/2007/04/analysis-services-and-double-hop.html

Hope this helps!

- Mike

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 10:29 PM
  • Fixed - it was ultimatly associated with how the cube was built.I reset some connections ect and It works under App pool account. Next is getting it to work under kerberos. But that is a different story.

Thursday, April 24, 2008 5:27 PM

All replies

•  

Hello,

This may not be your issue, but sounds really close to the issue alot of users have with Analysis services and the "Double Hop" issue that arises.

In Analysis Services, a "Double Hop" occurs when the client is not directly connected to the Analysis Services Server, such as when remotely browsing a SharePoint site that is configured to retrieve data from Analysis Services (Like a Dashboard page with KPI indicators that get their data from a cube hosted on a remote Analysis Services instance). In order to correctly deal with double hop authentication, Kerberos (The underlying authentication mechanism used by Active Directory) must be able to properly pass the user's credentials to Analysis Services. In order to accomplish this, Analysis Services must be configured to utilize Kerberos properly, which is not done automatically when installing Analysis Services.

Below is a link to this article:

http://portal.sqltrainer.com/2007/04/analysis-services-and-double-hop.html

Hope this helps!

- Mike

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 10:29 PM
  • Fixed - it was ultimatly associated with how the cube was built.I reset some connections ect and It works under App pool account. Next is getting it to work under kerberos. But that is a different story.

Thursday, April 24, 2008 5:27 PM