none
In Place Upgrade Server 2008 to Server 2012 STD

Question

• I am planing the in place upgrade of a Server 2008 Standard SP2 which holds all the FSMO roles for the domain, the schema version is 56 (Server 2012).

I am looking for information on how to proceed with the upgrade of the windows server 2008 Std to windows server 2012 Std, and If there is any need to worry about the machine in question being the main DC in the domain.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tuesday, June 12, 2018 3:27 PM

All replies

• The usual way to do it is this. Create a new 2012 server. Promote it to a DC. Then transfer the FSMO roles to the new DC. If you only have one domain controller, you have a serious point of failure. If you in place upgrade that domain controller and it goes "belly-up" you are pretty much out of luck. If you have a second DC, at least of something goes wrong, you can seize the FSMO roles to that DC.
    Tuesday, June 12, 2018 3:33 PM
  •  If there is any need to worry about the machine in question being the main DC in the domain.

Yes, 2008 SP2 (vista kernel) was notorious for servicing corruption issues so an in-place upgrade should not be done.

I'd use dcdiag / repadmin tools to verify health correcting all errors found before starting. Then I'd stand up the new 2012, patch it fully, license it, join existing domain, add active directory domain services, promote it also making it a GC (recommended), transfer FSMO roles over (optional), transfer pdc emulator role (optional), use dcdiag / repadmin tools to verify health, when all is good you can decommission / demote old one.

Also note its always recommended to have at least two domain controllers for high availability and disaster mitigation.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, June 12, 2018 3:58 PM