Can a document have more than one left/right margin settings in the same section? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a three page document. The first page needs to be a normal, left to right page where the margins are about half inch on the left and right, all the way down to the bottom of the page. So I can type all the way down the page to my hearts content. The SECOND page needs to have that the text continue but indented over to the right, with a floating call-out text box I created sitting on the left hand side of the page. The "main" text would not be anywhere in that left hand section of the page. Then the THIRD page would revert back to the style of the text in the first page (half inch margin on left and right). 

The margin styles of the pages need to stay as they are no matter how much or how little the user types. As long as there is content on the 2nd page, it needs to have that indent with the callout, as long as there is content on the third page, it needs to span the whole page. 

I can't do it with treating each page as a Section, because if I type more content at the end of page one (which would be Section one), it just adds a new page to that section using the first page style. I need to the text to flow to the 2nd page with the indented style.

I managed to set up what I needed using linked text boxes. The text box on the second page only takes up half the page. The problem with using text boxes like this is that if someone tries to add a page to the end of the document, with a page break, it just causes the third page text box to jump to the next page, and the new page is before it, but blank.

This is driving me crazy. Anyone have a suggestion? I would be extremely grateful.

Tuesday, February 9, 2016 7:18 PM

Answers

• You cannot have more than one margin setting within a section. However...

Use an IF Field  in the header conditioned on the page number being 2. Locate your callout with wrapping inside that IF field as the truetext. Note that this may work better if the callout is on the right rather than the left. While you can get text to wrap around your callout, you cannot use tabs for positioning (the tabs ignore the callout).

Look at the Letterhead Textboxes and Styles Tutorial for examples.

Text will flow around your shape. So make the shape large enough to emulate the margin you would otherwise want.

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Tuesday, February 9, 2016 9:59 PM