Quick Launch in Win7 or 8 RRS feed

• General discussion

• Many people miss Quick Launch in Windows 7. Although the new/redesigned Taskbar is what it is it can still be felt that there is a worthwhile purpose served by Quick Launch. It is (still) really a nice place to have certain items... in addition to Taskbar & Start Menu... especially if one doesn't care for a bunch of icons on the Desktop or digging/seaching/clicking about for things.

How to Enable Quick Launch in Windows 7

Quick Launch has been removed from the taskbar in Windows 7. The idea in 7 is either "Pin"items to Start Menuor to Taskbar; the latter suggesting no need for Quick Launch. If items arepinned to the taskbar the result is large icons which when you skim over them give mini-displays of themselves... if they mean windowsthen you see a mini of each, i.e. plural tabbed sites open in a browser. However, allitems are treated equally, of course. Some you may not need to view a mini-window, you may not need them frequently, tool, accessory... something that seems well suited to residing in or as a Quick Launch item. Things you like handy but, don't need the attributes of being pinned to the taskbar and does not beg attention on an ongoing basis, as a browser, messenger, in-work documents/files does. Point is some people like Quick Launch, some may not miss it but, I feel there is a place for both; eachhave worthwhile reasons to be used. The following is how to establish Quick Launch in Windows 7.

Step 1: Right click on the Taskbar and choose Toolbarsand then New Toolbar.

Step 2: Now copy and paste the following line into the Folder box in the New Toolbar dialog box:

%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch

Click SAVE

Step 3: Now you'll see the Quick Launch bar shows up at the right of the taskbar. Next, right-click on the Taskbar and turn off Lock the Taskbar.

Step 4: Right-click on the divider and turn off Show Textand Show Title. Also, click on View and change it to Small Icons.

That's it! Now you have your small icons on the quick launch bar again!
    It can remain @ the right end of the taskbar OR grab it & move it to (near the Windows Orb) where you are accustomed, @ the left end of the taskbar.
    Finally remember to right-click on the taskbar and choose Lock Taskbar again to remove the divider. Enjoy!

All you have to do is nav to the item you want to place in Quick Launch... Rt mouse, drag-n-drop in QL, select Copy

Congrats, done, you have it
    J

Regards,
    Drew

Drew - MS Partner / MS Beta Tester / Pres. Computer Issues

• Edited by Drew1903 Wednesday, February 15, 2012 6:41 AM
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 7:45 AM

All replies

• In my Vista machine, I have 24 small application icons in a docked folder/toolbar at the right side (no hide, no labels) and six "utilities" in an autohide bar at the top.

I ==LIVE== my day to day life using the right side, one-click-to-go app starts.  99% of my computer use is through that bar.  And when I need the utilities, they are right there--I don't have to remember "now where did Windows hide those?"

Does your suggestion previously adequately replace that marvelous functionality? NO!  Please walk in to some senior manager's office and get him/her to add this back to 7.  You don't even have to publicly apologize for being so stupid.  Just put it back, announce it, and feel good about having marvelously benefited thousands of people. Bring back our docked folder/toolbars.

Oh, and I cannot get your instructions to move the created "old quicklaunch" to the left side to work.  It will slide to the left, but all that does is compress the open tasks on the taskbar leftward, yet they remain to the left of the quick launch.

Monday, February 28, 2011 4:42 PM
  • The toolbars have to be Unlocked to move it (over).  I will admit moving it over can seem a bit 'tricky' sometimes but, you just kinda of 'force it to 'jump' past the other task bar icons & 'push it where you want it.  It WILL go there, grab it & pull it into position, then after that Lock the toolbars.
    Drew MS Partner / MS Beta Tester / Pres. Computer Issues Pres. Computer Issues www.drewsci.com
    Monday, February 28, 2011 5:42 PM
  • Hi Drew1903,

I also appreciate your instruction on creating a Quick Launch area on the taskbar. Your directions worked flawlessly for me.

And I am one who has used a detachable toolbar for many years, which the Quick Launch can't do. As you appear to be an MS Partner, Gladiator asked you to put the full functionality of detachable toolbars back into Windows 7. Can you respond to that request? What would it take to actually make this happen, rather than us just blabbing about it? Is there an office or person in MS who can move things / respond to requests like this?

Thanks!

Wednesday, March 9, 2011 9:27 PM
  • Ok, let me see how I can best reply to this...

1st, I must admit, I'm really not sure what folks mean by "detachable toolbars".  Not something I've, personally, ever used or felt a need to have... maybe I've been living under a rock or don't get out enough... however I have seen a lot of discussion or whinging about this or more to the point, the lack of it.  I recall reading lots of the same in various tech forums whilst we were beta testing Windows 7 for Microsoft. 

That said, I'll now address 'talking' to 'powers that be w/in Microsoft' to have this changed or added relative to Windows 7... it is not going to happen.  Windows 7 is DONE, as in has been built & will stand & stay in its present form, Updates not w/standing.  Mind you the Taskbar can be located on any of 4 sides of one's display screen.  As for the 'detachable toolbars', per se, I can offer a couple of suggestions.

1. @ the top-right corner of IE9 (RC) there is a GEAR; Left-click it & go to Send Feedback.  Via this one can forward comments to Microsoft; technically to the IE9 Build Team but, (by request) from there can be forwarded to an appropiate dept.  Comments via this route end up @ Microsoft Connect & do get viewed/read by MS People.

2. Go to http://microsoft.com/support & you can E-mail your feelings, wishes, complaints & so on to MS.

3. I have some personal contacts w/in Microsoft.  If you want to formally write up your concerns, E-mail same to me I might forward them to those people.

BUT, I want you understand that @ this point in time IF you are going to see this particular function (you desire) in a Windows OS, it will not be Windows 7.  You can convey this (to MS) as something you wish to have implimented in Windows 8.

Cheers,
    Drew

CI for IT

Drew MS Partner / MS Beta Tester / Pres. Computer Issues Pres. Computer Issues www.drewsci.com
    Wednesday, March 9, 2011 10:09 PM
  • BUMP
    Saturday, May 7, 2011 5:18 PM
  • I reckon having this is so nice & helpful... well, simply put, BUMP
    Sunday, July 3, 2011 5:47 AM
  • BUMP
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 1:20 AM
  • I just received a new laptop with Win7 and am really disappointed this feature is gone. I too have about 20 icons in a docked window and 95% of my shortcuts, programs, URLs etc are there. I can start anything in half a second. Losing this functionality is a perfect example of why i was running WinXP up until now. Windows 7 (and now 8) are getting very pretty, but less functional. I'm not the type of person to say all change is bad. However, for many years I did user interface design and many of the changes I see coming from Redmond are just bad practice. Sure--the ribbon is great for Grandma who may use applications once in a blue moon-but true power users are slowed down. It's a shame, but I am seriously going to look at installing XP on my brand new high end Sony laptop.
    Monday, September 19, 2011 8:03 PM
  • 'dtdg'

Don't be disappointed, just follow my provided instructions & put QL (back) in Windows & & discover/enjoy Win 7

To some extent I agree, @ least in regard to Quick Launch; which is why I have told people how to have it in Windows 7.

Admittedly there are a number of substantial changes in 7 & 8 from XP... there were in Vista, too, for that matter.  But, using XP, certainly @ this point in time, is not smart... for several reasons, on many levels.  Also, in actuality, the functionality in 7 & 8 is (overall) huge.

As, this thread is meant to instruct & inform... put QL in & you will like (still) having it. & be open to soon liking & learning Windows 7 & IE9.

Good you are off XP, now.

Cheers,
    Drew
    • Edited by Drew1903 Monday, September 19, 2011 9:12 PM
    Monday, September 19, 2011 9:02 PM
  • Drew,

Windows 7 lacks another functionality that was also really useful in windows XP: The Network Taskbar Indicator. It is really useful for a power user to know wich interfaces has traffic easily, as in the trayicon. I am using the Network Activity Indicator (www.itsamples.com) to mimic the old and good XP one, but It can not show an icon per device, as the XP could.

I also have not found nothing that could mimic the old and very useful detachable quick launch bar found in the Windows XP.

Is It possible to launch these functionalities as Power Toys for Windows 7?

Thank you in advance.

Gabriel.

Saturday, November 5, 2011 10:55 PM
  • Gabriel,

I am sorry but, to this query I can olny say, not that I know of or I don't know.  Maybe someone else can better answer you on this one.  I was able to tell folks how to have Quick Launch in Windows 7 but, I cannot comment on the 2 items you mention.  Just cus I've not heard of or about it, doesn't necessarily mean...

Regards,
    Drew

Sunday, November 6, 2011 3:26 AM
  • It's about time I BUMPed this for y'all.
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 8:45 PM
  • Bump time

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 6:41 AM
  • In keeping w/ the recent release of Windows 8 Beta this is being bumped up for your awareness.

Cheers,
    Drew

Saturday, March 3, 2012 5:22 AM
  • Pardon?  Please, explain what you are asking...

Saturday, March 3, 2012 9:00 PM