Windows Messenger equivalent? RRS feed

• Question

• Windows messenger 5.1 doesn't seem to install on Vista (I've seen others report the same thing so its not just me).

Is there anything I can use in Vista that doesn't have annoying spam (like MSN or Live Messenger does) and will connect to a SIP server like LCS (Live Communications Server)?

Any help appreciated.

Tuesday, August 1, 2006 2:49 AM

All replies

• Paul,

Did you ever get any answer for this or figure something out.  I just started testing Vista and have run into the same issue.  We use LCS 2003 Server and it appears Windows Messenger is the only thing that can talk to it - and now they're phasing it out.

Thanks,

Ron

Wednesday, September 6, 2006 11:41 AM
  • Try opening a cmd window as an administrator and then run the MSI - seems to be just a permissions problem for me
    Friday, September 8, 2006 4:47 PM
  • Please logon with the Administrator account, if you installed Vista from zero, first you must activate the Administrator account and assing a password for it.

Regards.

Guillermo

Friday, September 22, 2006 9:35 PM
  • you CAN install the WM 5.1 on Vista but when using it, it hangs or crashes after a while...

does anyone know a workaround or maybe another IM client to work for Vista?...

We are using LCS 2005...
    Monday, March 12, 2007 11:22 AM
  • from what I can gather, LCS 2005 clents use Windows Messenger 5.0 \5.1.

In vista, Microsoft's says that Windows Messenger 5.0 \5.1 is not compatible for vista, please install the "windows live messenger" -

Hello!! Microsoft!!! it dosn't communicate with Fu***** LCS !!

Wednesday, March 21, 2007 3:59 PM
  • I'm looking for a fix too - Messenger 5.1 is very unstable on my system. It seems to crash whenever the the text is scrolled or if I type a message longer than 2 lines. Another thread I read mentioned something about a RichText control?
    Friday, March 23, 2007 9:04 PM
  • I've got a workaround on this problem...

you have to use office communicator 2005...
    Wednesday, October 10, 2007 4:08 AM