Updating Back End Database RRS feed

• Question

• We have 3 front end servers connecting to 1 backend database. Is it recommneded to take all of the 3 front end servers offline before I update the database or can I go ahead and update the database safely without taking the FE servers offline?
    Friday, August 3, 2018 6:15 PM

Answers

• I had a call open with Microsoft support team and they said that the update could be run without shutting down all of the front end servers and as we had a maintenance window planned I followed their advice.

Obviously, took a backup of the databases first.

• Edited by Blue_man2 Friday, August 17, 2018 4:05 PM
    • Marked as answer by Blue_man2 Friday, August 17, 2018 4:05 PM
    Friday, August 17, 2018 4:05 PM

All replies

• Either way there will be a impact for end users, its an best idea to take all Frontend servers offline and proceed with backend database upgrade.

Ensure the versio n of backend server you are upgrading is under supported scenario.

Saturday, August 4, 2018 2:52 PM
  • Ok thanks, so what would be the recommended sequence to shutdown them down and then start them up again, so quorum is not lost?
    Sunday, August 5, 2018 9:00 AM
  • The recommended sequence to shutdown the server and start them will be as follows,

1. Shutdown FE1.domain.com

2. Shutdown FE2.domain.com

3. Shutdown FE3.domain.com

4. Complete the backend upgrade activity

5. Start FE3.domain.com

6. Start FE2.domain.com

7. Start FE1.domain.com

By this, you will be able to avoid the quorum loss during this activity.

In case, you come across front-end services startup issue, the below cmdlet will fix it.

Reset-CsPoolRegistrarState -PoolFqdn "FePool.domain.com" -ResetType QuorumLossRecovery

Sunday, August 5, 2018 12:38 PM
  • Hi Blue_Craig,

Agree with Neeranjan, when you start the FE servers,please start these servers at the same time. every subsequent time the pool is started, 85% of the servers should be started.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/lync/en-US/ed4d57ff-0417-449f-95ee-5e71211f77fb/updating-back-end-database?forum=sfbfr

Best Regards,
    Leon Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, August 6, 2018 7:11 AM
  • Hi,

Are there any update for this issue, if the reply is helpful to you, please try to mark it as an answer, it will help others who has similar issue.

Best Regards,
    Leon Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, August 8, 2018 10:17 AM
  • I had a call open with Microsoft support team and they said that the update could be run without shutting down all of the front end servers and as we had a maintenance window planned I followed their advice.

Obviously, took a backup of the databases first.

• Edited by Blue_man2 Friday, August 17, 2018 4:05 PM
    • Marked as answer by Blue_man2 Friday, August 17, 2018 4:05 PM
    Friday, August 17, 2018 4:05 PM