none
DNS Configuration for domain name RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there, 

I am new with this story. Could someone tell me how do I have to configure the Domain Name Provider records to tell this domain name to use my private DNS Server? Is it only a host A record with my external IP Address? If yes, do I need to forward the Port 53 to the internal IP Address of the DNS Server? thanks! I appreciate your help! 

Wednesday, July 18, 2018 2:40 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, point the website's DNS address to your own DNS server.

I am pleased to know that the information is helpful to you. Please remember to mark the replies as an answers.

Best regards,

Travis

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, July 20, 2018 2:44 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your question.

I don't quite understand what you mean. Please correct me if I misunderstood your question.

The solution I can give is to use  DNS policy for split-brain deployment.

Please refer to the links below:

Use DNS Policy for Split-Brain DNS Deployment

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/networking/dns/deploy/split-brain-dns-deployment

Split-Brain DNS Deployment Using Windows DNS Server Policies

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/networking/2015/05/12/split-brain-dns-deployment-using-windows-dns-server-policies/

Best regards,

Travis

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, July 18, 2018 9:38 AM
  • Hi Travis, 

thanks for your answer. I am sorry if it was not clear. What I need is really basic. What you sent me is talking about more than a DNS server and what I need is just the most basic structure to create a Homelab. I just need to point the domain name I just bought to be controlled from my Windows DNS Server. I want to control DNS from my DNS Server and not from the website where I bought the Domain Name. Would I need to forward any ports in the firewall as well?

thanks for your help!

Carles.

Carles Gonzalez

Wednesday, July 18, 2018 7:25 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Your problem has nothing to do with the firewall.What you need to do is point the DNS server address of the domain name to your own DNS server.

First, First, you need a public IP for the NS(Name Server).

Second, you need to register your DNS server(NS) with the ISP.

Last, point the DNS server address of the domain name to your own DNS server.

Please modify it according to the features of your domain provider.

Best regards,

Travis

Thursday, July 19, 2018 10:17 AM
  • Hi Travis, 

many thanks for your answer. Just let me check, to be sure:

1- I have the public IP address of my DNS Server.

2- I created a ns register into the domain name provider (website).

3. Point the DNS server address (the one in the Provider(website)?) of the domain to your DNS Server.

Thank you!

Carles.

Carles Gonzalez

Friday, July 20, 2018 2:30 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, point the website's DNS address to your own DNS server.

I am pleased to know that the information is helpful to you. Please remember to mark the replies as an answers.

Best regards,

Travis

Friday, July 20, 2018 2:44 AM
  • Hi Travis, 

thanks for your help! That worked! :) thanks!

Carles Gonzalez

Sunday, July 22, 2018 1:24 AM