MOC R2 prefers Enterprise Voice over VOIP RRS feed

• Question

• Just got around to setting up a mediation server with a test sip trunk. There are no PBX involved. Im noticing that when i go to click the call button for contacts that have e164 phone numbers in AD that this is the preferred method of calling. I would think that a MOC to MOC call would be the preference. Calling an e164 number would mean that the call goes out through the trunk, thus costing money and taking up bandwidth unnecessarily. It would be prefered that the default method of calling would take place internally similar to a PBX. Is this possible?

Thursday, March 18, 2010 8:46 PM

All replies

• Hi Jason,

Did you capture traces to make sure that when doing so your calls is going through the Mediation Server and the SIP Trunk?
    What I understood is: When you call the E.164 number, OCS tries first to perform the RNL (Reverse Number Lookup) and if it does find a correspoding SIP URI for this E.164 number then the call is routed directly to this SIP URI using Computer mode. So, the call should not be going out then back into your OCS system.
    In your case, if the E.164 number correponds to the user's Line URI then the call should be a Cpouter to Computer call and should not go to the Mediation/Sip Trunk.

Quang.
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 9:07 PM
  • Jason,

I agree that a Communicator call seems like a more logical default selection.  However, if you enable the users for EV using the same E.164 number (either directly or as a result of normalization) then OCS will route the call directly to the user rather than through the PSTN.  This happens because the FE analyzes the number against EV-enabled users prior to routing it to the Mediation server.

Mike

Mike Stacy | http://mikestacy.typepad.com
    Friday, March 19, 2010 12:16 AM
  • Thanks for the prompt responses. This is what i wanted to hear. I knew OCS had to be smart enough not to make calls to pstn when both endpoints are MOC. I hadn't run any traces yet, but will do when i get the time. The mediation piece is pretty new to me and is still a learning process.

Friday, March 19, 2010 1:03 PM
  • Hi Jason,

I have a related problem, and got a good answer from Jeff in this thread:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ocsvoice/thread/435f2f4a-5340-47a5-a4dc-00d243ee95e6

The default dial option is not specifically the Communicator Call option, but is the last number used to call that contact.  Initially this can be the Communicator Call action, but once a call is placed to a Work or Mobile number that most-recently-used action would become the new default for that specific contact.

/mk

Friday, March 19, 2010 3:02 PM