Defragmenter GUI does not launch RRS feed

• Question

• I have a 64-bit Windows 7 Professional.  When I locate & run defragmenter (click Start, enter "defragment without quotes), nothing happens.  I open the containing folder c:\windows\system32 and run exe file "dfrgui", but all that happens is that a DOS windows shows up briefly, with DOS commands scrolling.  I found http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itprovistaapps/thread/017521e3-0bdc-4b5c-a35f-3dd104fd3fdc, but Services.msc is running.

How else would one troubleshoot this?

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 5:18 AM

All replies

• This is absolutely infuriating.

I gave up on defragmenting, and started to run the computer as usual.  Just on a whim, I launched the defragmenter.  Lo and behold, the GUI came up.  Obviously, the lack of functionality was because I was attempting to use it in Safe Mode (which I understood to be the way that defragmentation should be done in systems prior to Windows 7).  Sure enough, a Google search confirmed that the lack of response was due to Safe Mode.

*Why*. Why is a message not presented to the user stating that the app does not run in Safe Mode?  What am I not understanding here?  It seems blatantly obvious to me that users launching defrag in Safe Mode might be wondering what was going on when nothing happened.  I am so stunned that I cannot thing of a civilized way to vocalize my view of this.

Thursday, April 21, 2011 1:18 AM

• There has been a few threads on the subject of defrag and safe mode, and those people are as frustrated as you. But, I have never run defrag in safe mode on any Windows OS, and have never heard that was the way it needed to be done. It works fine (and as it is supposed to) in normal mode on all releases of Windows. I always run check disk first to clear up any possible errors, then run defrag afterwards. From XP on, I rarely run it manually since Windows seems to maintain itself quite well in that respect.

SC Tom

Thursday, April 21, 2011 11:57 AM
  • I'd say the more egregious issue is not that the defrag runs only in normal mode.  The issue is the response of the app when launched in safe mode.  That response being nothing at all.  I mean, for heaven's sake, basic programming 101.  I thought we evolved beyond those practices eons ago.
    Friday, April 22, 2011 5:27 PM
  • Thank you, Vegan.  I see the issue as the app not providing an informative message to that effect when launched in safe mode.
    Friday, April 22, 2011 5:31 PM
  • When you say it's complicated to implement, I understood this to mean that it is a hard to for apps developers (even those internal to microsoft) to write code that determines whether the computer is in safe mode.  Did I understand that correctly?

Quite apart from the complexity question, I find it simply unacceptable in this day and age for a productized app in a high-profile window system to not give any indication of what it did.  Heck, even a popup asking "Is your computer in Safe Mode?" would be better than  nothing.

Saturday, April 23, 2011 12:42 AM