Aero with Solid Colour desktop causing welcome screen to hang RRS feed

• Question

•  

I don't know if its just me or not but when ever I change my theme to Windows Aero and enable a solid desktop colour and reboot I have a welcome screen appear with a spinning circle and my system hangs on it for up to 15-20 seconds.

As soon as I select a picture for the background instead and reboot, my system skips the welcome screen and boots straight to the desktop after the login sound.

Here's what I have done as a workaround, I upped the resolution higher and hid the desktop icons, took a screen shot and added it as my desktop background rebooted and the problem doesn't occur.

I have always had a solid black desktop but not at the expense of so much extra loading time.

I have installed vista to another drive but the problem remains

I have formatted and installed Vista SP1 fresh to another drive but the problem continues.

If anyone else can replicate this problem the Vista is Broken and needs repair.

Wizzzzard

Saturday, December 6, 2008 11:17 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I suggest that you upgrade the display driver. Please download the driver from the computer manufacturer's website, and install it.

If the issue persists, it can be caused by one of the background programs. Please boot in Clean Boot Mode.

Clean boot

=================

Let’s disable all startup items and third party services when booting. This method will help us determine if this issue is caused by a loading program or service. Please perform the following steps:

1. Click the Start Button type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.

Note: If prompted, please click Continue on the User Account Control (UAC) window.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.

Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment, if the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

For more information about this step, please refer to the following KB article:

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com//kb/929135

However, if the issue still occurs in Clean Boot Mode, I suggest that you create a new user account.

Create a new user account

====================

1. Click the Start Button, and then click Control Panel. 

2. Click Classic View in left panel. 

3. Double-click User Accounts.

4. Click Manage another use account. 

5. Click Create a new account, and type the name.

6. Choose account type as Computer administrator.

7. Click Create Account.

8. Log off and log on with the new account.

If the issue does not occur in the new user profile, the problematic user profile may be corrupt. We need to use the new one instead. Please follow the steps below to transfer personal data.

Transfer user profile

===============

1. Log on as the new user account (make sure the new user account has administrator privilege).

2. Click the Start menu, and click Computer.

3. Click the Organize button on the left top corner and choose Folder and Search Options.

4. Under View tab, check the "Show hidden files and folders" box and click OK to save settings.

5. Navigate to the C:\Users\(old user name) folder.

Note: The "old user name" refers to the user name of your old account. For example, if the user name of your old account is "Larry", the folder should be C:\Users\Larry.

5. Copy all files and folders in the C:\Users\(old user name) folder to the C:\Users\(new user name) folder.

Note: To copy all files, we can press Ctrl+A, and then Ctrl+C in the C:\Users\(old user name) folder. After that, navigate to the C:\Users\(new user name) folder, click Ctrl+V. Replace them with the new files.

Monday, December 8, 2008 7:05 AM