Server Performance Advisor (SPA) 3.0 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

i have installed the Server Performance Advisor (SPA) 3.0 on a Windows 7 SP1 Client.

The Server, I want to watch the performance, is a Windows 2012 Server R2.

Both are in the same domain and my user is in the administrator group on the server.

In "Configure Servers" I add the server and I add a shared directory on the server.

When I test the configuration the "Test Configuration" dialog appears but never succeeds.

In the Log.txt file I find the following

+ SpaException: Cannot start performance logs and alerts data collection set ServerPerformanceAdvisor_2 on server gsd-df-03.
       + FileNotFoundException: Das System kann die angegebene Datei nicht finden. (Ausnahme von HRESULT: 0x80070002)
    ========== Trace Stack ==========
    --- SpaException ---
       bei Microsoft.ServerPerformanceAdvisor.Console.ViewModels.MainViewModel.<>c__DisplayClass2b.<RunAnalysis>b__2a(Int16 machineId)
       bei Microsoft.ServerPerformanceAdvisor.SessionOperation.StartSession(Guid jobId, Int16 machineId, Int16[] advisorPackIds, UInt32 duration, Credential credential)

bei Microsoft.ServerPerformanceAdvisor.SessionOperation.QueuePlaJob(RuntimeDataCollectorSet dataCollectorSet, Credential credential, Int32 sessionId, String machineName, String resultPath, UInt32 duration)

bei Microsoft.ServerPerformanceAdvisor.DataCollectors.PerformanceLogsAndAlerts.PerformanceLogsAndAlertsManager.Start()

--- FileNotFoundException ---
          bei Microsoft.ServerPerformanceAdvisor.DataCollectors.PerformanceLogsAndAlerts.PerformanceLogsAndAlertsManager.Start()
          bei Microsoft.ServerPerformanceAdvisor.DataCollectors.PerformanceLogsAndAlerts.DataCollectorSetClass.Start(Boolean synchronous)

DateTime=2014-09-30T13:05:47.2028845Z

What is wrong with my configuration?

Thanks.

Wednesday, October 1, 2014 8:46 AM

Answers

• Hi Harald,

Thank you for your post.

From your description, I see the issue you are facing is there is something wrong with Server Performance Advisor on Windows 7.

Combining the error message with my research, the cause of such symptom might be related to credentials.

Here I find a related case which describes the similar symptom, you may use it for a reference. 

SPA (Server Performance Advisor) Install issue on Windows 2008 server not in domain

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/54fe7a27-32cf-44fd-a822-8cca1d003c59/spa-server-performance-advisor-install-issue-on-windows-2008-server-not-in-domain?forum=winserverManagement

Currently, let's do the following test to see if that solves the issue.

Test 1

====

Clear the windows credentials in control panel, launch SPA as administrator and run analysis. SPA will ask you to input your password when running analysis at the first time. Make sure the user name is exactly the one you logon.

Test 2

====

Create a new local account, add it to administrator group, logon using the new account and launch SPA as administrator.

Hopefully the information is helpful. Please let me know if there is any update.

Thank you for your time.

Best Regards,

Sophia Sun

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Proposed as answer by Sophia Su-MSFT Friday, November 7, 2014 2:06 AM
    • Marked as answer by Bennie Chen Monday, November 10, 2014 2:58 AM
    Thursday, October 30, 2014 1:18 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Please cross verify configuration settings from below path.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831394.aspx 

Regards,
    Manjunath Sullad

Wednesday, October 1, 2014 9:58 AM
  • Hello,

thanks for your answer.

I have verified the settings.

The problem still occurs.

In the File Share Location an new empty directory will be created.

But thats all.

Regards.

Harald

Wednesday, October 1, 2014 12:35 PM
  • Hi,

So did you define the servers that will be reviewed when configure the SPA?

Please refer to this artcile for the SPA configuration:

http://msincic.wordpress.com/2013/04/10/analyzing-performance-with-server-performance-advisor-3-0/

Regards.

Vivian Wang

Wednesday, October 8, 2014 2:00 AM
  • Hi,

I think my problem is the section:

Note that for each server will be created a shared folder where the SPA will write data and use for the metrics:"

I never get the server into status "passed".

Is the "shared folder" in your "howto" on the server you want to check performance or on

the client, from which you start the spa.exe?

Regards.

Harald

Monday, October 13, 2014 9:03 AM
  • Hi,

Sorry for the delay reply.

According to this blog:http://blogs.msdn.com/b/canberrapfe/archive/2011/09/03/server-performance-advisor-3-first-look.aspx

If you just use Windows it might create a flat structure when extracting the cab file.

Meanwhile, please refer to this article:

Server Performance Advisor User's Guide

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn481525.aspx

Regards.

Vivian Wang

Monday, October 20, 2014 1:19 AM
  • Hi,

Any update about the issue?

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Regards.

Vivian Wang

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 6:58 AM
  • Hello,

I know the articles.

My my problem is, that I never get the the server in the status "passed" in the

configure server dialog. When I use a shared folder on the server to test, a new

directory with a magic number will created but in the directory there are no files

and the test never passes, ...

So where should the "shared folder" location be?

On the server to test? On the Client? Somewhere in the network?

Regards,

Harald

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 1:00 PM
  • Hi Harald,

Thank you for your post.

From your description, I see the issue you are facing is there is something wrong with Server Performance Advisor on Windows 7.

Combining the error message with my research, the cause of such symptom might be related to credentials.

Here I find a related case which describes the similar symptom, you may use it for a reference. 

SPA (Server Performance Advisor) Install issue on Windows 2008 server not in domain

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/54fe7a27-32cf-44fd-a822-8cca1d003c59/spa-server-performance-advisor-install-issue-on-windows-2008-server-not-in-domain?forum=winserverManagement

Currently, let's do the following test to see if that solves the issue.

Test 1

====

Clear the windows credentials in control panel, launch SPA as administrator and run analysis. SPA will ask you to input your password when running analysis at the first time. Make sure the user name is exactly the one you logon.

Test 2

====

Create a new local account, add it to administrator group, logon using the new account and launch SPA as administrator.

Hopefully the information is helpful. Please let me know if there is any update.

Thank you for your time.

Best Regards,

Sophia Sun

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Proposed as answer by Sophia Su-MSFT Friday, November 7, 2014 2:06 AM
    • Marked as answer by Bennie Chen Monday, November 10, 2014 2:58 AM
    Thursday, October 30, 2014 1:18 PM
  • Hi Harald,

I have not heard from you in a couple of days, and I'm writing to follow up to check if you have any questions about the information I provided.

Best Regards,

Sophia Sun

Tuesday, November 4, 2014 10:03 AM
  • Hello Harald,

We've not heard from you. I assume the information provided by Sophia has helped and I am marking it as the answer.

In case you need further information, please let us know.

Regards,
    Bennie Chen

Monday, November 10, 2014 2:57 AM