Offer Remote Assistance hanging RRS feed

• Question

• I am unable to open Offer remote assistance from a specific Windows 8.1 machine to a Windows 7 machine.

On the Windows 8.1 machine I get the following errors;

• Event id 13 - Remote Assistance started with:   as the command line parameters
    • Event id 41 - Diagnosis Repro Attempt resulted in a failure.
    • Event id 44 - Remote Assistance troubleshooting has confirmed the problem: Remote Assistance Easy Connect isn't available.
    • Event id 29 - The error message:    Verify that the person you are trying to help is still at his or her computer.    has been shown to the user.
    • Event id 30 - Remote Assistance has ended.

When I try the following occurs;

• It does open msra.exe on the other machine
    • The window opens on the Windows 8.1 machine for remote but just says trying to connect in the bottom left corner.
    • It just sits that way for maybe 5 minutes and then ends.

I have done the following troubleshooting;

• Verified that this works from a different Windows 8.1 machine.
    • Verified that my account is in the helper group.
    • Disabled my firewall and tried with the same results.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Eric

Friday, March 21, 2014 4:15 PM

Answers

• Hi Eric, 

The cause of this behavior is that the following policies are enabled, you can check and if there it is, please configure to disable it to check the results. 

* Solicited Remote Assistance

* Offer Remote Assistance 

Every time we force a refresh of group policy, the membership of the Offer Remote Assistance Helpers group will be cleared and all the users/groups that you add under the Helpers list of the "Offer Remote Assistance" setting will be added as a member of the group again. The group will be removed if you remove the policy settings. 

The policy settings are in the following location:  

Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Remote Assistance

In addition, since other GP will also cause this issue, please follow these steps to clear local GP to see what's going on:

Run following command as administrator:

RD /S /Q "%WinDir%\System32\GroupPolicyUsers"

RD /S /Q "%WinDir%\System32\GroupPolicy"

gpupdate /force

If the issue still persists, please post back following event log here for our research:

Kate Li
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, March 24, 2014 8:40 AM