none
Is linking from Proj 2010 to Excel meant to be inconsistent from Proj 2007? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Project 2007 schedule file.  I copy and paste-link data from it into an Excel 2007 file.  Excel formulas then operate on the Project data.  Some of the formulas operate on the WBS information passed from Project.

Recently after upgrading from Project 2007 Pro to 2010 Standard, some of my Excel formulas stopped working.  This held true even if I upgraded to Proj 2010 and opened the Excel file without ever opening the new Proj 2010 installation.  Experimenting with ISNUMBER and ISTEXT in Excel on the linked Project data returned the following:

WBS data linked from Proj with Proj 2007 installed appears in Excel as text.  WBS data linked from Proj with Proj 2010 installed appears in Excel as both text and numbers.

If the WBS can be represented an integer or has one decimal place, it is seen in Excel as a number (e.g. 3 or 3.1).  If the WBS has more than one period in the outline level, it is seen in Excel as text (e.g. 3.1.1).

Currently my workaround is to create a new column in Excel that converts all linked Proj WBSes to text.

=IF(ISTEXT(B3),B3,IF((INT(B3)=B3),TEXT(B3,"0"),TEXT(B3,"0.0")))

Is this by design, and can it be changed??  Another observation – once Project 2010 is installed, the option to Paste Special – Excel 8.0 in Excel is no longer available in Excel when Project data is copied to the clipboard.

Thanks!

• Edited by rocketpaddy Thursday, October 6, 2011 2:16 PM
    • Moved by Max Meng Monday, October 10, 2011 1:17 PM move to appropriate forum (From:Office 2010 Application Compatibility)
    Thursday, October 6, 2011 2:00 PM

Answers