none
MS Project and PWA run slow RRS feed

• Question

• Our PWA runs slow the past few weeks it takes much longer time for PWA to load.  Q looked fine nothing gets stuck.  We are on project online, total 166 projects with 1300 resources. 6 of our projects contain tasks over 10,000 in a plan.

My speculation were:

1) the 10,000 tasks in those 6 projects.

2) Not sure if this is related but some of our projects name contain hyphen and ampersand.  I have communicated with manager about to not have special character in a project name but got a push back to exempt these two characters "we have been having these some time and no problem", "we allow these two character to be used as there are no solid proof that they are actually bad for database".  

What causes this slowness and how do I find out or prove that it might relate to the above two bullets? We will have more projects coming in as our forecast for resources will be 2600 for 2020. 

NLuu

Thursday, February 20, 2020 4:38 AM

Answers

• Hello Nitaya,

I think you would need to log specific examples of the slow performance (Date time, what the user was doing, time the action took etc.) for a week or so for all timings (good and bad) then depending on the results, open a support case via your Office 365 tenant and send the details over as part of the case to see what Microsoft say. They might be able to review the server logs at those specific times etc. or work with you for a period of time to review it.

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS | MVP | Downloads

• Marked as answer by NLuu Thursday, March 5, 2020 4:19 PM
    Thursday, March 5, 2020 9:24 AM

All replies

• Hello,

What is slow? How slow is slow? What are you comparing against? Is this slow experience the same from all browsers, devices and internet connections?

Paul

Saturday, February 29, 2020 11:19 AM
  • Hi Paul,

PWA, the page kept loading.  Other was when plan managers opened  projects, it was slow especially during the working hrs in the office. When it happens, it's for all browsers.  I am comparing against my usual open time in both browser and project. 

Right now I'm working from home at night time, and pages load fine.  

The reality is that at work 7 persons may open projects and work and over 1000 persons may access PWA during the working hrs and there will be more (as per our project forecast).  I want to prepare for that time before it comes.  Please advise.

Nitaya Luu

NLuu

Monday, March 2, 2020 4:54 AM
  • Hello Nitaya,

I think you would need to log specific examples of the slow performance (Date time, what the user was doing, time the action took etc.) for a week or so for all timings (good and bad) then depending on the results, open a support case via your Office 365 tenant and send the details over as part of the case to see what Microsoft say. They might be able to review the server logs at those specific times etc. or work with you for a period of time to review it.

Paul

• Marked as answer by NLuu Thursday, March 5, 2020 4:19 PM
    Thursday, March 5, 2020 9:24 AM
  • Good advice, I have been working with MS for sometime now but they keep saying nothing is wrong at their end.  They close tickets after another.  I was just exploring to see if anyone have this issue similar to mine.

We will have double deployment in Q3 and I'm a bit nervous, but I will observe and do what you said.  

Regards,

NLuu

Thursday, March 5, 2020 4:22 PM