none
Hyper-V Manager - Physical Drive Option is Greyed Out RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I've been struggling all day to connect my hard drives to virtual OSs.

I am running Hyper-V 2012 with Hyper-V manager on Windows 7. I can connect to my Hyper Server, run operating systems, etc. But when I want to connect my hard drive to the machine the option simply is greyed out.

Under Settings -> ISCSI controller -> Hard drive -> Physical Hard disk Radio button is greyed out.

I checked the internet for solutions and learned that the drives need to be set Offline, I did that via MMC (snap ins) but still the button was greyed out.

I also did try a workaround, create a VDH file and set it on the hard drive. This works, but after entering the command line I have waited aprox. 30 minutes and at that moment it for only 2% done, so I aborted this action since time isn't on my side. Don't know really if this should take this long, but since it wasn't really what I was looking for I didn't look for a solution for that problem.

Anyone knows why I can't select physical hard drives in Hyper-V manager?

Help is highly appriciated.

Sunday, July 7, 2013 6:16 PM

All replies

• Why do you want to use a physical disk?  VHD or VHDX is the recommended storage method.

Once you offline the physical disk, if you had the Settings box open, you need to close it and go back into settings for the offline disk to appear. 

The physical disk you want to use needs to be on the local computer where Hyper-V is, it can't be on your Windows 7 computer.

Creating VHDs only takes a few seconds, unless you're creating a very large fixed disk or trying to copy the contents of they physical disk over.  A dynamically expanding disk only takes a few seconds to create.

Also, the correct forum for Hyper-V is here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?forum=winserverhyperv

This forum is for the product Virtual Server 2005.

• Edited by essjae Monday, July 8, 2013 6:07 PM added url
    Monday, July 8, 2013 6:06 PM
  • Thanks Steve.

I wanted to use my phyical disks because I was under the assumption that it was easier to implement.

The phyiscal disks where on the Hyper-V server though.

I think that I entered the command for creating a fixed VDH file of 1.3TB, it makes sense that a dynamical expanding disk should take just a few seconds. I will look for the correct parameter when I am at my server.

Couldn't find the correct forum, didn't searched well enough!

Thanks again Steve, I can move forward now and if neccesary I will post in the correct forum:).

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 5:40 PM