none
Problems with the groups & categories & permissions configuration RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am having some problems with the permissions configuration in Project Server 2010. I have been modifying the groups and categories and their permissions but I cannot achieve what I want.

I have 2 kind of projects:

• Public Projects
    • Confidential Projects

I detected 3 groups of users:

• Administrators

Can see and edit everyting

• Project Managers

Can see all the Public Projects and contribute in the project's workspaces

Can edit all the projects they have in their own (publics and confidential)

• Team Members

Can see the projects they are part of the team

Can contribute in the project workspace

I configured 3 groups (Administrators (Administrators security template), PMs (Project Manager security template) and Team Members (team member security template)) and I don't know how to configure the categories. All the trials I have done were wrong and now I don't know how to continue

Thanks.

Friday, April 1, 2011 1:12 PM

All replies

• Hi,

From the information above, it sounds like you could configure the categories as follows:

Administrators = My Organisation (Giving them access to everything in the server)

Project Manager = My Projects (Giving them access to all of their projects, check that the Projects options has 'The user is the Project Owner or the user is the status manager on assignments within that project'  & 'The user is on that project's project team'

Team Members = My Tasks (checking that only 'The user is on that's project project team')

Hope this helps,

Alex Burton
    www.epmsource.com | Twitter
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Friday, April 1, 2011 7:57 PM
  • Hi Alex,

it partially worked. The only that I am missing is how to separate the permissions and visibility between the "Public" and "Confidential" projects.

The diference between these two kind of projects is that in the "Public" ones all the Project Managers have access to them and in the "Confidential" ones only the Project owner have access to them.

In the case of the team members, they only have access to any kind of project if they are part of the team.

How can I indicate that a Project is "Public" or "Confidential" and allow or not the access to the rest of the project managers??? (Using your configuration, all the projects work as "Confidential")

thanks,

Monday, April 4, 2011 7:41 AM
  • I was thinking a bit more, and I thought that the best solution would be the next option:

When configuring the public projects category, having the option to select: All the projects EXCEPT the ones that are in the CONFIDENTIAL CATEGORY.

Is possible, selecting all the projects except the ones from another category? Thanks

Tuesday, April 5, 2011 2:41 PM