none
Postbacks fail after upgrade from .NET 3.5 to .NET 4.5.1 RRS feed

• Question

• I've searched for anything similar to what I'm experiencing for a couple of days now with no luck.  I recently upgraded a suite of Web Forms Applications from .NET 3.5 to .NET 4.5.1.  After cleaning up a few referencing issues surrounding NuGet packages, I managed to get everything building and running (locally: IIS8) much easier than I expected. 

However, once I uploaded everything to the production server (IIS 7.5, Windows Server 2008 R2), I noticed that post-backs, whether they be triggered from a LinkButton or an autopostback on a DropDownList, only work intermittently.  The first load of the page, everything works fine.  Go to the page again a minute later, click the same button, and the post-back happens but the event handler isn't reached.  The event handlers are attached either via the OnClick or OnChange properties or the 'Handles' Clause in code-behind.

One thing that I find curious is that when the postback happens on a link button click event and the event handler isn't reached, the form is reset.  Does that suggest a ViewState related issue?

Again, everything worked fine when the application was targeting .NET 3.5, and even now that it's targeting 4.5.1 everything works fine when debugging on my local machine (with IIS8), but running in IIS7.5, post-backs are a huge problem.

Any ideas, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• Moved by Anna Cc Tuesday, November 4, 2014 6:27 AM
    Monday, November 3, 2014 4:12 AM

All replies

• Hi Jason Harper RWD,

This issue is related to IIS. Please reopen a new thread in IIS forum because I can't help move it there.

Thank you for your understanding!

Best regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, November 4, 2014 6:27 AM
  • Are you sure it's IIS related though?  Surely it could be a configuration issue with the code or something related to ViewState... Why so convinced it's an IIS fix?
    Tuesday, November 4, 2014 10:08 PM