Cannot ping server; Not connected to network RRS feed

• Question

• I have a windows 8.1 computer and a windows sbs 2003. I have had no issues for the past year with this setup.  Recently I have fallen off the network and I am unable to get back on.  For a few weeks if I just rebooted the computer I would be able to connect to the network, but that has stopped working.  When I try to ping the server by name the cmd says that the ping request could not find host 'server', but I am able to ping it by using the ip address.  I am also able to map to network drives by using the ip address. I realize that sbs 2003 is very old, but my boss will not get a new server at this time.  Any idea what I could do to get back on the network?
    Wednesday, December 17, 2014 7:28 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Does the issue still exist?

Based on your description, the client can ping the SBS 2003 server by IP address, but can’t ping the server by its name.

Have you checked if the DNS name resolution works fine?

To troubleshoot this issue, please follow steps below,

1. Ping the IP address of DNS server to see if there are connectivity issues between client and DNS server.

2. If we can ping DNS server, then we could use nslookup to verify the name resolution issue. Open cmd, enter nslookup, press Enter key, then enter a name of a DNS client. To see if the name resolution works fine.

3. Please also enter the SBS server name, to see if the name can be resolved. If can’t, please check DNS zone to see if the record is in the DNS server.

4. If the record is not in the DNS zone, please manually add the record to the DNS server or run ipconfig /registerdns command in the SBS server.

Best Regards,

Tina

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Tina_Tan Wednesday, December 24, 2014 8:52 AM
    • Marked as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Monday, December 29, 2014 7:13 AM
    Monday, December 22, 2014 10:00 AM
  • Hi,

The process of pinging a name is different from pinging IP address.

If ping a single/multi label name, client will  atomically append the DNS suffix according to its settings, and then query the name.

I suggest you to ping the FQDN of the server(Computer-Properties-Full computer name), and check to see if it can ping successfully.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 26, 2014 8:58 AM

All replies

• Please post unedited ipconfig /all of both.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Thursday, December 18, 2014 2:59 AM
  • Hi,

Does the issue still exist?

Based on your description, the client can ping the SBS 2003 server by IP address, but can’t ping the server by its name.

Have you checked if the DNS name resolution works fine?

To troubleshoot this issue, please follow steps below,

1. Ping the IP address of DNS server to see if there are connectivity issues between client and DNS server.

2. If we can ping DNS server, then we could use nslookup to verify the name resolution issue. Open cmd, enter nslookup, press Enter key, then enter a name of a DNS client. To see if the name resolution works fine.

3. Please also enter the SBS server name, to see if the name can be resolved. If can’t, please check DNS zone to see if the record is in the DNS server.

4. If the record is not in the DNS zone, please manually add the record to the DNS server or run ipconfig /registerdns command in the SBS server.

Best Regards,

Tina

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Tina_Tan Wednesday, December 24, 2014 8:52 AM
    • Marked as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Monday, December 29, 2014 7:13 AM
    Monday, December 22, 2014 10:00 AM
  • Hi,

The process of pinging a name is different from pinging IP address.

If ping a single/multi label name, client will  atomically append the DNS suffix according to its settings, and then query the name.

I suggest you to ping the FQDN of the server(Computer-Properties-Full computer name), and check to see if it can ping successfully.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 26, 2014 8:58 AM