MultiPoint server 2012 IE not working RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

I have just installed MPS 2012 and I have an odd problem.  If I select internet explorer from the desktop, I get the "page can't be displayed" error for all webpages.  If I use Internet explorer from the start menu (the crappy windows 8 format) it works fine.  I reset the IE settings, and I was able to get IE to work once from the desktop, then it crapped out again.  I have verified there is no proxy specified, DNS is working fine (as evidenced by IE from Start working).  Any suggestions are appreciated!

• Edited by Ahochau Friday, February 15, 2013 4:30 AM
    Thursday, February 14, 2013 11:29 PM

Answers

• I went nuclear on it.  Removed the box from the domain, reformatted the drives and reinstalled and now it is happy.  Along the way, the "metro" interface quit working, when I clicked the tile it just opened IE throught the desktop.  This happens on the new install as well.  I don't mind it being gone because I think that interface is absolutely horrible on a desktop.  Anyway, not sure why it broke with a clean install, but doing a clean install seems to be the fix.  I hope this problem doesn't crop up again down the road.
    • Marked as answer by Ahochau Thursday, February 28, 2013 3:55 AM
    Thursday, February 28, 2013 3:55 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Hint:

'crappy windows 8 format' --- you mean no-Addon toolbars format?

server versions of windows run IE8 and higher in enhanced protected mode....you should not use server versions of windows and IE for casual web surfing and leave their security settings at the recommended levels... nor should you install any third-party addons or any other web browsers.

take the keyboard and screen off and lock it in your comms room... Access it by remote access or remote desktop...the only security settings you should change is to add domains to the Trusted Sites list... which is the only zone(and intranet) on server versions of IE that allow scripting and downloads....

by default you should already have *.Microsoft.com in there... add *.live.com to allow you to negotiate with your live id when downloading from MSDN or TechNet sites.

there are no reasons for using a server version of windows as a client desktop...None...

Rob^_^

lets see if I can find your machine?
    Friday, February 15, 2013 12:50 AM
  • Isn't the whole purpose of Multipoint server to replace workstations?  I'm pretty sure that is what it was designed to do.  It is a terminal server.  Thus you would be using the server for your web browsing.  So yes, you would be using a "server" version for client desktops.   So although your comments are cute, they are not relevant and prove you to be uninformed. 

Multipoint server uses the the Windows 8 user interface, which is crap.  So when I use the IE "tile" I can browse the web, when I launch IE from the desktop, I get the "cannot load page error"  On ALL pages, even on my local network.

Friday, February 15, 2013 4:12 AM
  • Hi,

the deployment guide is under construction....

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj916399.aspx

see also http://www.microsoft.com/windows/multipoint/howitworks.aspx

Start>Control Panel>Internet Options...Security tab.

what sites if any do you have in your trusted and intranet sites list.

see http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ieinternals/archive/2012/03/23/understanding-ie10-enhanced-protected-mode-network-security-addons-cookies-metro-desktop.aspx

see this thread (bottom posts)

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ieitprocurrentver/thread/4aced618-135d-42e7-989f-17f39caa93ae

from what I can make out the solution is to list your intranet sites in the Trusted Sites zone.

the connect ticket is here...

https://connect.microsoft.com/IE/feedback/details/729142/cannot-view-private-network-websites-in-ie10-metro-mode

<quote>

We just had another discovery: Setting the local subnet hostname/site explicitly in the list of Local Intranet Sites solves the issue. Which might narrow it down to some sort of detection problem

</quote>

Rob^_^

Friday, February 15, 2013 5:07 AM
  • Added the local intranet to the list, no dice.  Even with the security settings all set to the lowest level and protected mode disable, I get "page can't be displayed."  I also get time out error when using firefox. Chrome fails as well. It is almost as if a non-existent proxy server is configured.  It is odd that IE works fine when launched from the Start page.  

Since this product is designed for VDI, I find it odd that every user would need to go in and change the security settings in IE.  Especially since it is to be used in classrooms where the teacher is the administrator. 

• Edited by Ahochau Friday, February 15, 2013 5:36 AM
    Friday, February 15, 2013 5:28 AM
  • Hi,

the Deployment guide is of no use to either of us too....

I am asking around at MSFT and hope to have some kind of answer back Monday (WST)...

you can troubleshoot some issues though....

1. try ping and tracert from a command prompt...

from desktop IE10,

first ensure you are using the default security zone settings...

Tools>Internet Options>Security tab, click "reset all zones to default" (are you on a domain? or is MPS standalone?)

next set your IE homepage to about:blank (General tab of Internet Options)...

close all open IE windows (including the Modern IE (from the start tiles version) windows) and start an IE Desktop window... it should open at about:blank

f12 (to display the Developer tool)>Networking tab, click "Start Capturing"

type a url address in the IE address bar.....

you will see the request and response traffic in the Developer tools networking console...

Rob^_^

Saturday, February 16, 2013 2:11 AM
  • The server is a member of a domain.

I get nothing that looks useful.  Just says "aborted" for the result.  If I go to details, it does show me a dnserror.htm on the Initiator tab, but that is the only tab that has anything in it, except the "timings tab" that has a line that goes to 35 seconds.  I changed the DNS info to look at the service provider's servers, and got the same result.  I can ping by name no matter which DNS servers I am using.

The first time I reset the settings, from the desktop IE worked one time then stopped.  This time it didn't even work once. 

When I set the home page to be about:blank the homepage for the Tile became the same, this tells me they share settings.  However, the tile version of IE has worked throughout, the desktop fails.  I can't figure out why one would work and the other would not.  It is also odd that ALL browsers fail when launched from the desktop.

Thursday, February 21, 2013 3:43 AM
  • I went nuclear on it.  Removed the box from the domain, reformatted the drives and reinstalled and now it is happy.  Along the way, the "metro" interface quit working, when I clicked the tile it just opened IE throught the desktop.  This happens on the new install as well.  I don't mind it being gone because I think that interface is absolutely horrible on a desktop.  Anyway, not sure why it broke with a clean install, but doing a clean install seems to be the fix.  I hope this problem doesn't crop up again down the road.
    • Marked as answer by Ahochau Thursday, February 28, 2013 3:55 AM
    Thursday, February 28, 2013 3:55 AM
  • installs usually require some sort of web updates as well.

Glad to hear your a happy camper... learnt as well.

Rob^_^

Thursday, February 28, 2013 5:29 AM