Extremely low CPU Usage RRS feed

• Question

• My computer has been working fine until just a month ago. Now every so often, about once or twice a day, everything either says that it  stopped responding or freezes up(clicking on it or mousing over the program doesn't do anything at all). It doesn't actually freeze, most of the time I can still do stuff, it just takes a very long time, sometimes more than five minutes, just to minimize a window. I managed to pull up the task manager during one of these slowdowns and the cpu usage was extremely low, around 2%-10%, the lowest I saw it hit was 0% and the highest was 14%. After about 10 minutes the cpu started raising again, only to drop again a minute later. Normally the only way I can make it speed back up is to restart the computer. If anyone has any ideas of what to do to fix this, please help. Thanks in advance.
    Monday, February 6, 2012 1:23 AM

Answers

•  

Hi,

According to your description, I suggest to perform these tests to trouble shoot the issue:

1 Logon with Safe Mode or Clean Boot to see if the same issue occurs.

2 Remove all third party tools and perform a whole disk scan to check if any virus on your machine.

3 Update all drivers, also update BIOS to the latest version.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Leo Huang Monday, February 13, 2012 8:02 AM
    Tuesday, February 7, 2012 3:18 AM