none
Hyper-V / Server 2016 host is crashing when VMs start for first time RRS feed

• Question

• Like the title says, We are having an issue with our hyper-v host servers crashing on the initial startup of guest vm's. 

Everything works fine during the creation of the guest vm, then when we go to power up the guest vm about 10-20 seconds later the host crashes. Doesn't happen on every vm setup, but quite a few (say 1/3). 

I have found examples of others having the same issue or similar. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytP-RfhdBWY  (not my video, but same sort of issue).

I haven't seen anything in event viewer that would indicate a problem with the host. no crash logs are saved when it does crash, just a hard black screen (no BSOD). 

Any thing you guys can point me to look for here? I am at a total loss on this. 

Thanks,

Wednesday, January 9, 2019 7:01 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in our forum!

Before we move on, would you please help me clarify the following information?

1.What the version of your problematic VM?

2.Are there any differences in settings between the problematic virtual machine and the normal virtual machine? Can you provide a screenshot of both settings?

3. Has the problematic VM changed recently? Updates and so on.

Thanks for your time.

Best Regards,

Daniel

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 10, 2019 4:01 AM
  • Hi, 

Was your issue solved?

If yes, would you like to share your solution in order that other community members could find the helpful reply quickly.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help. 

Best Regards,

Daniel

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 15, 2019 9:05 AM
  • To answer your questions.

1. Windows Server 2016 Standard

2. No differences, all servers are created from syspreped templates using a powershell script. we have 1000's of vm's created from these templates. Some crash the host server on initial startup while setting up drivers, and some don't.

3. No, updates are done quarterly on all templates and this issue has been ongoing for a long time. Again, it's not the VM crashing but the HOST SERVER that is crashing. 

Thanks,

Tuesday, January 15, 2019 2:58 PM
  • No issue hasn't been resolved. No change in current situation. Still when creating vm's from templates the host has a about a 1/3 chance of crashing. 

Happens on all of our host systems, so not isolated to one server. 

Tuesday, January 15, 2019 3:00 PM
  • What is the host configuration?  Is the hardware supported for whichever version of Windows Server you are using?  www.windowsservercatalog.com

Does the problem occur if you manually create a VM from the template instead of using your PowerShell script?

Does the problem occur if you create VMs without using the sysprepped template?

tim

Tuesday, January 15, 2019 3:05 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply!

Is it possible to do a test, shut down all VMs, and then only start a problematic virtual machine to see if the host will crash.

In addition, you can also check it out from Tim's suggestion.

Best Regards,

Daniel

Wednesday, January 16, 2019 2:54 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue solved?

If yes, would you like to share your solution in order that other community members could find the helpful reply quickly.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help. 

Best Regards,

Daniel

Friday, January 18, 2019 1:44 AM
  • Hi,

This is Daniel and wish you all the best!

Since you have not responded for a long time, we will temporarily archive this post.

If the reply helped you, please remember to mark it as an answer.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best Regards,

Daniel

Tuesday, January 22, 2019 1:26 AM