none
Microsoft .NET 3.51 SP1 affects connectivity to certain websites using IE8 (and IE6) RRS feed

  • Question

  • We are currently experiencing issues with a particular website http://vendorporal.ab.gr  (and a few select others - but all showing the same issues).

    It all works until Microsoft .NET 3.5 SP1 is installed, either via WSUS or a fresh manual download. After installing .NET 3.5 SP1 we get error 64s trying to access it, but http://www.ab.gr remains accessible.

    If we uninstall .NET 3.5 SP1 it all works again.

    We are using IE version 8.0.6001.18702 but I did revert to 6 in testing and this also failed. I also fully updated a PC from Microsoft update, but the issue persisted.

    However, using Firefox (with Microsoft .NET 3.5 SP1 is installed) the above site works as expected.

    Internet connectivity incidently is via a ISA2006Enterprise Array - but I don't think this is the issue - since Firefox uses the same array (when Proxy settings set to 'use system settings').  Client is Windows XP SP3 btw.

    Anyone seen this before / have a fix?


    • Edited by dstradins Wednesday, April 24, 2013 9:26 AM
    Wednesday, April 24, 2013 9:22 AM

All replies

  • Hi dstradins,

    Could you let us know the exact error message when you attempt to access certain website?

    Please try to uninstall .Net Framework 3.5 SP1 and download the .Net Framework 4.0 from below link:

    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17718

    then install this up to date version Microsoft .Net Framework.

    Meanwhile, you could consult this certain website support for help.

    Best regards,

    Karen Hu

    Thursday, April 25, 2013 8:24 AM
    Moderator
  • Hi Karen,

    Thanks for replying.

    This issue is affecting an entire estate of PCs so I don't believe uninstalling .NET 3.5 SP1 from them all is really an option. :)

    If we uninstall .NET 3.5 SP1 it works. If we then install .NET 4.0 it still works, but .NET 3.5 SP1 is not on the PC. Install 3.5 SP1 along with 4.0 and it stops working again.

    The error message is as follows (please keep in mind that Firefox uses the same proxy to the site on the same PC without issue and uninstalling .NET 3.5 SP1 gets access back to the site) -

    X  Network Access Message: The page cannot be displayed 
     
     Explanation: The request timed out before the page could be retrieved.

    Try the following:

    Refresh page: Search for the page again by clicking the Refresh button. The timeout may have occurred due to Internet congestion.
    Check spelling: Check that you typed the Web page address correctly. The address may have been mistyped.
    Access from a link: If there is a link to the page you are looking for, try accessing the page from that link.
    Contact website: You may want to contact the website administrator to make sure the Web page still exists. You can do this by using the e-mail address or phone number listed on the website home page.
    If you are still unable to view the requested page, try contacting your administrator or Helpdesk.

    Technical Information (for support personnel)
    Error Code 64: Host not available
    Background: The gateway or proxy server lost connection to the Web server.
    Date: 25/04/2013 13:49:11 [GMT]
    Server: ourproxy.ourdomain.net
    Source: Remote server

    Thursday, April 25, 2013 2:15 PM