locked
Outlook Search Issue RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hello,

    We are having a strange issue across multiple organizations we support where attempting to search in Outlook will result in an error message saying "Something went wrong and your search couldn't be completed."

    The results will just display "It looks like there's a problem with your network connection."

    Clicking on "Let's look on your computer instead" when prompted will typically bring up results as intended but the results don't come from server assisted search.

    Users are connecting to an on-premise Exchange server with a wide gamut of varying versions/CUs depending on the organization. This is NOT happening on OWA regardless of environment.

    This appears to only be happening for our users who currently have Office 2016 or 2019 RETAIL C2R installed which are all currently up to date. We began receiving these reports sometime around May 5th. 

    Turning on Outlook Logging and attempting to perform a search will generate the below log on affected systems only, though I'm not sure what it entails:

    =============

    AppData\Local\Temp\Outlook Logging\SearchQueryProblems.txt

    Search query 1:
    Problem: ServerRequestFailedUnauthorized
    Detail: HRESULT: 80070005. HTTP Status: 401. Error: . TraceID: 
    Error Message: 

    Problem: ServerSearchAlgorithmFailure
    Detail: HRESULT: 80004005. Function: CSearchPagingManager::HrCreateSearchRequestAndExecute
    Error Message: General error encountered in server search algorithm

    =============

    Any ideas?



    Wednesday, May 13, 2020 4:26 PM

All replies

  • Hi ,

    Welcome to our forum.

    I researched a lot and found that this issue may be related to Outlook version and there are some other users recently have the same issue as you . However, I have not found any official documents explaining this issue so far. 

    It is suggested to uncheck the "Use Cache Exchange Mode..." option via File > Account Settings > Account Settings > Double click your email account and see if you can search normally under Online mode. If it does work, as a temporary workaround, it is suggested to use Outlook Online mode, or click "Let's look on your computer instead".

    Besides, please keep an eye on the announcement or update from Microsoft. And if I found any updates, I will also post back. Thanks for your patience.

    Hope this issue can be resolved soon.

    Regards,

    Jeff Yang


    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.



    Thursday, May 14, 2020 2:05 AM
  • Hi ,

    Just checking in to see if above information was helpful. If you have any further updates on this issue, please feel free to post back.

    Regards,

    Jeff Yang


    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.


    Friday, May 15, 2020 10:14 AM
  • I currently have the same problem with customers with Exchange 2013 and 2016, Outlook 2016, 2019.
    Sunday, May 17, 2020 3:48 PM
  • An issue has been resolved after installing KB4497165: Intel microcode updates (update change date 19.05.2020).

    Thank you for nothing M$ Support.



    Monday, June 1, 2020 11:46 AM
  • Hi,

    Same issue in my organizations also, what i did is changing to online mode which works fine. Mostly this occurs post installing MS office 2013 & 2016.

    But that was temp solution.

    Monday, June 1, 2020 12:10 PM