Breadcrumbs RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, is there a way to disable the breadcrumbs feature in Windows 7? I find it most unproductive.

Thanks

Wednesday, August 3, 2011 7:30 PM

Answers

• Yes, you can disable breadcrumbs, but it requires a 3rd party Windows tweaking application:  ClassicShell (specifically, the ClassicExplorer component):

-Noel

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Wednesday, August 17, 2011 8:33 AM
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 11:08 PM
  • Hi,

As we know, the breadcrumbs were first implemented in Windows Vista, not Windows 7. There is no options to disable this feature.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, August 5, 2011 6:07 AM

All replies

• No.

You are little late. click here for Breadcumbs

Wednesday, August 3, 2011 8:31 PM
  • Hi,

As we know, the breadcrumbs were first implemented in Windows Vista, not Windows 7. There is no options to disable this feature.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, August 5, 2011 6:07 AM
  • Are they ever going to implement a way to disable them? Or is there a way to hack the explorer shell to make it revert to the old way of dealing with the paths? I mean there is an option for the classic theme but not the aero theme.

Alternatively, could someone point me to a way to make my own windows style scheme, which would allow me to use the "classic" address bar option with it?

Sunday, August 7, 2011 8:54 PM
  • "Or is there a way to hack the explorer shell to make it revert to the old way of dealing with the paths?"

Clicking in the empty space after the breadcrumbs makes it a text path that you can copy/paste and use it, just like the old way. I find this very helpful feature as it helps me switch back and forth any folder as desired without pressing the back button multiple times. Hope it helps!

Kunal D Mehta - a Windows Server Enthusiast.
    • Proposed as answer by Server Baba Tuesday, August 9, 2011 6:08 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Server Baba Wednesday, August 10, 2011 2:12 PM
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 6:07 PM
  • Yes, you can disable breadcrumbs, but it requires a 3rd party Windows tweaking application:  ClassicShell (specifically, the ClassicExplorer component):

-Noel

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Wednesday, August 17, 2011 8:33 AM
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 11:08 PM

-Noel

Wow! Thanks, that is very cool.

How does it do that?

Saturday, August 13, 2011 12:00 PM
  • As far as I know, it installs itself as an add-on shell extension, then tweaks settings and intercepts messages internally that affect the various controls.

-Noel

Saturday, August 13, 2011 1:29 PM
  • Is there a tutorial anywhere so that I can make something similar myself?
    Saturday, August 13, 2011 5:17 PM
  • As the Classic Shell project is on sourceforge you can get the developer files, http://sourceforge.net/projects/classicshell/files/Version%203.1.0%20general%20release/

I did have a trawl through it yesterday to see how easy it would be to extract, but 1 hour later after finding the code ,ish , i decided to give up as it was never going to be an easy fix for something thats not really broken.

Sunday, August 14, 2011 7:37 AM
  • I can't seem to find the source.. it's pretty cluttered sourceforge. Help?

Edit: nvm found it on the link you already posted (missed it the first time.. I tried getting it via svn and it wouldn't download anything!).

Sunday, August 14, 2011 8:22 PM