none
Backup Print Server using DPM 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am using DPM 2010 to backup the Windows 2008 R2 file server which is also a Print Server.

I am taking System State backup and users data backup from this server recently we had a major power problem and that damaged the file & print server so we restored the server using the system state backup but this didn't restore the printers.

Please suggest if there is any specific configuration / folder to be backed up for the print servers.

Regards,

Maqsood

Maqsood Mohammed Senior Systems Engineer MCITP-Enterprise Admin & ITILv3 Foundation Certified

Monday, August 13, 2012 10:10 AM

Answers

• Thanks for the response guys.

But BMR is not possible with Tape Protection i am using tapes for both Short Term & Long Term.

I was hoping to know if there is any specific folder where the printers information is stored and if we can backup and restore the same.

Regards,

Maqsood

Maqsood Mohammed Senior Systems Engineer MCITP-Enterprise Admin & ITILv3 Foundation Certified

Hi Maqsood,

In this case I would use the Printer Migration Wizard (Printbrm.exe). It will export your printers settings to a file that you can backup with DPM.

My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.dpm2010.com
    If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 7:04 AM

All replies

• Hi Maqsood,

You should considere to use Bare Metal Recovery (BMR).

DPM uses Windows backup to create a BMR backup. 

BMR protection covers protection for operating system files (System State) and critical volumes (excluding user data). Your printer configuration is certainly host on the System drive C:\

To see which volumes are included in the BMR backup, run this command from an administrative command prompt:

wbadmin.exe start backup -allcritical -quiet -backuptarget:%1

The %1 will cause it to fail if you proceed by answering Y, but will show what volumes are included in the backup.

Prescriptive Guidance on BMR vs System State By Data Source: http://technet.microsoft.com/fr-fr/library/ff634241

Stephane.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties. knowledge is valid only if it is shared by All.

Monday, August 13, 2012 7:43 PM
  • I agree that BMR would be the way to go if you want to be able to restore the printer information. If the machine is virtual you might then consider using a VHD backup if the host is Hyper-V.

There is some useful information here on the what system state and BMR backs up.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh758150

Monday, August 13, 2012 9:54 PM
  • Hi,

I am using DPM 2010 to backup the Windows 2008 R2 file server which is also a Print Server.

I am taking System State backup and users data backup from this server recently we had a major power problem and that damaged the file & print server so we restored the server using the system state backup but this didn't restore the printers.

Please suggest if there is any specific configuration / folder to be backed up for the print servers.

Regards,

Maqsood

Hi Maqsood,

I also agree that BMR would be the best option for your scenario considering that you are already backing up the System State. Here is another option to consider if you need to just backup printer configurations on other servers. You could use the Printer Migration Wizard (Printbrm.exe) to backup your printers and then back this up with DPM.

http://www.buchatech.com/2009/06/migrate-printers/

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 1:15 AM

But BMR is not possible with Tape Protection i am using tapes for both Short Term & Long Term.

I was hoping to know if there is any specific folder where the printers information is stored and if we can backup and restore the same.

Regards,

Maqsood

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 7:02 AM

Regards,

Maqsood

Hi Maqsood,

In this case I would use the Printer Migration Wizard (Printbrm.exe). It will export your printers settings to a file that you can backup with DPM.

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 7:04 AM
  • Buchatech's solution is the appropriate one.

Another one would be to use WSB to perform the backup locally and then back it up using DPM and File Protection.

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 7:06 AM