Error code 0x80040154 in Outlook 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• 0x80040154 error code come up when trying to download email...wont download any.

Looked all over the net and it seems to be an issue for several generations of Outlook.  I uninstalled the whole suite and reinstalled...but apparently it leave some files as it had our email back in it when we restarted it. 

Any more newer info on this.Thanks

Monday, July 19, 2010 4:46 AM

Answers

• Hi,

AFAIK, Error '0x80040154' generally occurs because of unregistered file(s) or some registry corruption issues.

Here are some common solutions that can help you isolate the given problem:

1.First, you need to click 'Start' and then 'Run'.

2.Next, type 'regsvr32 inetcomm.dll' and restart your computer.

3.Then you can start Outlook and see if the problem goes away. In that case, you can stop here as the problem was due to an unregistered inetcomm.dll file.

4.If the problem persists, you should restart your computer in 'Safe Mode with Networking' and then start MS Outlook. In case, this method works for you, the problem is related to a conflicting program or a virus. So, you need to uninstall the problematic program and/or run an antivirus software.

5.If the above method also fails, you should remove the Outlook profile you use, after backing up all the e-mail folders and settings. You can either delete the profile or add a new one. Next, you can setup a new account and later import old folders.

6.In case, the issue still persists, you should try repairing Microsoft Office or Microsoft Outlook. If this doesn't work, you can reinstall MS Outlook. Make sure that you backup your PST and settings first.

However, if MS Outlook is damaged as a result of corrupted PST, the above methods will not work. This is because when you reinstall or repair Outlook, the old PST file(s) are not deleted. Thus, you need to repair them using PST Repair solutions.

Hope it does help.

• Marked as answer by Jennifer Zhan Monday, July 26, 2010 2:05 AM
    Tuesday, July 20, 2010 3:09 AM

All replies

• Hi,

AFAIK, Error '0x80040154' generally occurs because of unregistered file(s) or some registry corruption issues.

Here are some common solutions that can help you isolate the given problem:

1.First, you need to click 'Start' and then 'Run'.

2.Next, type 'regsvr32 inetcomm.dll' and restart your computer.

3.Then you can start Outlook and see if the problem goes away. In that case, you can stop here as the problem was due to an unregistered inetcomm.dll file.

4.If the problem persists, you should restart your computer in 'Safe Mode with Networking' and then start MS Outlook. In case, this method works for you, the problem is related to a conflicting program or a virus. So, you need to uninstall the problematic program and/or run an antivirus software.

5.If the above method also fails, you should remove the Outlook profile you use, after backing up all the e-mail folders and settings. You can either delete the profile or add a new one. Next, you can setup a new account and later import old folders.

6.In case, the issue still persists, you should try repairing Microsoft Office or Microsoft Outlook. If this doesn't work, you can reinstall MS Outlook. Make sure that you backup your PST and settings first.

However, if MS Outlook is damaged as a result of corrupted PST, the above methods will not work. This is because when you reinstall or repair Outlook, the old PST file(s) are not deleted. Thus, you need to repair them using PST Repair solutions.

Hope it does help.

• Marked as answer by Jennifer Zhan Monday, July 26, 2010 2:05 AM
    Tuesday, July 20, 2010 3:09 AM
  • Dear Jennifer,

I get the same error message when I try to use the Microsoft Fix It Center on all the options that I have tried. I have Windows Vista Home Premium. Would you suggest similar steps to above for me to try?

• Proposed as answer by marazul Tuesday, January 31, 2012 12:27 PM
    Monday, January 30, 2012 8:16 AM
  • Tried all 6 steps.. had to repair office.. Had a feeling I de-registered or deleted (somehow) a required dll.
    Monday, December 22, 2014 9:38 PM
  • Had the same error code.

Tried to remove Outlook alone but didn't work.

Tried to create new profile but got the same error code.

The following worked for me.

1. Un-installed the whole office suite (Control panel > program features > MS Office > Uninstall)

2. Re-start pc and install MS Office again.

3. no more error code. Outlook managed to use previous Data pst file so all was good again.

Hope the above helps. Goodluck!

Saturday, November 4, 2017 7:24 PM