none
Office Home and Student 2019 & Office 365 Mystery!

Question

• I previously used office 365 on my old laptop. I purchased a new laptop with Office Home & Student 2019 installed. When I check programs installed via control panel, it shows” Microsoft Office Home and Student 2019 – en-us” as the program installed. When “Word” and “Excel” bootup, it displays “Office 365” in the bootup window, for both apps. Additionally, I keep getting messages in my Outlook email window that my office 365 has expired and I need to renew it. I previously cancelled it. Why are these references to Office 365 occurring?

Larry Cooper

Email: ***************@********.com

Friday, April 19, 2019 10:09 PM

All replies

• Hi Larry,

Did you use your Office 365 account to and activate and log in Office Home & Student 2019? You can also use ospp.vbs to check the Office related activation status on current computer. You can post the result here to help me analyze the issue for you:

1. Open Command Prompt as an Administrator,
    2. Type cscript "%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Office\Office16\"ospp.vbs /dstatus   or cscript "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft Office\Office16\"ospp.vbs /dstatus

Note: The opss.vbs script is located in the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office16 folder. If you installed the 32-bit version of Office on a 64-bit operating system, go to the C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office16 folder. For Office 2016, Office 365 and Office 2019, the name of folder is Office16. Press Enter.

Please find the records related to Office 365, pay attention to find out Last 5 characters of installed product key: XXXXX then type cscript "%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Office\Office16\"ospp.vbs /unpkey:XXXXX or cscript "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft Office\Office16\"ospp.vbs /unpkey:XXXXX , press Enter. Then check if it works.

In addition, please sign out your account and switch to your account with Home and Student 2019 license to have a check. You can find the name of your product by signing in to the account portal with the Microsoft account you associated with Office.

Please Note: This is a public forum. In order to protect your privacy security. Please do not share your personal contact details here.

If you have any updates or anything unclear, please feel free to post back to let us know.

Best Regards,

Herb

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Monday, April 22, 2019 2:02 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking the status of this issue. Do you have any update for it?

If my reply is helpful to this question, please remember to mark it as answer. Your action would be helpful to other users who encounter the same issue and read this thread. Thanks for your understanding.

Anything unclear or any questions, feel free to post them back to let us know. I will be glad to follow up and help you.

Best Regards,

Herb

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Wednesday, April 24, 2019 7:18 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking the status of this issue. This thread has been around for a long time. Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. Your action would be helpful to other users who encounter the same issue and read this thread. 

Thank you for understanding! If you have any questions, or updates, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Herb

Friday, May 3, 2019 8:23 AM
  • Hi Herb,

Here's a screen shot of my command window while trying to run both of the csripts. I ran both commands you provided because I didn't know which version I have. I believe I have the 32-bit version installed, because I can follow the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office16\ OSPP.VBS" chain using Explorer. Am I entering the command improperly and causing the error?

*****************************************************************************************************************************

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.17134.706]
    (c) 2018 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\coop0>%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Office\Office16\"ospp.vbs /dstatus
    'C:\Program' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\coop0>%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft Office\Office16\"ospp.vbs /dstatus
    'C:\Program' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.
    *************************************************************************************
    C:\Users\coop0>

Thanks--Larry(Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you.)

Larry D Cooper

Saturday, May 4, 2019 11:14 PM
  • Hi Larry,

The Office Software Protection Platform script (ospp.vbs) enables you to configure volume licensed versions of Office products, including Project and Visio. The opss.vbs script is located in the Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office16 folder. If you installed the 32-bit version of Office on a 64-bit operating system, go to the Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office16 folder.

Running ospp.vbs requires the cscript.exe script engine. To see the Help file, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

cscript ospp.vbs /?

The general syntax is as follows:

cscript ospp.vbs [Option:Value] [ComputerName] [User] [Password]

Please use cscript "%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Office\Office16\"ospp.vbs /dstatus   or cscript "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft Office\Office16\"ospp.vbs /dstatus

If you have any updates, feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,

Herb

Wednesday, May 8, 2019 9:30 AM