SharePoint 2010 Site Tabs (Sub Site) Access Permissions RRS feed

Answers

• Hi,

Stop Inheritance Permissions from parent site should work.

On the home tab (top-level site), create a sharepoint group, such as Vistors or other, add all the members to the sharepoint group.

On tab1 (the first sub-site), go to Site Permissions, click to Inheritance Permissions from parent site. You may also remove all the permissions there. Also, click Grant Permissions from the ribbon, add the users theres, and choose “Grant users permission directly”, choose the boxes before permissions below.

Also do the similar steps to other tabs (other sub-sites).

Save the changes, and go to the top-level site, try to log on with a user to test the results. The user should only see the home tab and the related tab you have granted permissions to him/her.

It works properly on my computer.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

Thursday, April 19, 2012 8:16 AM

All replies

• there is not OOTB way to secure a tab. if you use something like search to retrive those sites and tryle it like tabs that wouls work since search does the security trimming

SharePoint MVP, Microsoft VTSP, http://www.arcovis.com

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 11:14 PM
  • Hi,

When you create a sub-site it inherits the access permissions of your root site of your site collection.

In order to have individual permissions for each site, you have to Break Inheritance Permissions

Please go through the steps for breaking inheritance mentioned in the below link

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/break-inheritance-permissions-in-sharepoint-2010-t.html

Please Mark Post as Answer once you get the solution for your issues.

Thanks,
    Kunal Govani

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 5:17 AM
  • Hi DurgaRao,

There is an feature called Audience Targeting in SharePoint 2010.

You can set Audience Targeting for Navigation tabs, where you can mention groups for whom the tabs should be visible.

For configuring this go to -> Site Settings -> Navigation -> Go to Navigation Editing and Sorting as shown below

Hope this helps!!!

Thanks, Suraj Bangera | http://linkd.in/xXf8nk

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 5:29 AM
  • Thanks Suraj, It's not working
    • Edited by GAK AUSTIN Wednesday, April 18, 2012 4:04 PM
    Wednesday, April 18, 2012 4:04 PM
  • Hi,

On the home tab (top-level site), create a sharepoint group, such as Vistors or other, add all the members to the sharepoint group.

On tab1 (the first sub-site), go to Site Permissions, click to Inheritance Permissions from parent site. You may also remove all the permissions there. Also, click Grant Permissions from the ribbon, add the users theres, and choose “Grant users permission directly”, choose the boxes before permissions below.

Save the changes, and go to the top-level site, try to log on with a user to test the results. The user should only see the home tab and the related tab you have granted permissions to him/her.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

Thursday, April 19, 2012 8:16 AM
  • Hi DurgaRao,

This is a easy process, but here you need to know if you want to 1-Hide only the Tab that links to the site or 2-Give permissions (Prevent Access)

Though if you used Audience Targeting as Suraj Bangera suggests the sites will still be accessible ex: typing the URL to the site in the address bar.

so what you need basically is to set permissions on the sites, here's a step-by-step for this:

• Go to the site that "Level 1 users" only can access.
    • go to site settings.
    • under Users and Permissions choose Site Permissions.
    • Click on Stop Inheriting Permissions, now you can edit permissions for this site,mark all the users by checking the box on their left and click Remove user permissions from the ribbon, make sure you dont remove the administrator you use to manage your environment neither remove any service account.
    • Now click Grant Permissions from the ribbon to add the users who will have access to this Site ex: Level 1 users from your scenario above.
    • Repeat this for every site you want to give special access permissions to.

note: for the home page that you want all users to access you dont need to add them individually or put all users in one group in AD, as ive seen some guys fall for this, all you need to do, if you have a Active Directory environment go to permissions of the site or page or whatever you want to set permissions to, and click Grant Permissions and add Authenticated users, authenticated users are all the users within your domain or forest, if you want users out of your domain to access your site you must configure Anonymous access,  here's a link Enable Anonymous access to SharePoint site

Also if you need the Hide the Tabs from the Top Link Bar you can do this as Suraj said by configuring Target Audience  for the Tab.

have a nice day.

Aabed Yassine. Systems Engineer.

• Proposed as answer by AaYassine Friday, April 27, 2012 9:51 AM
    Friday, April 20, 2012 11:23 AM
  • Hi,

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

how come this is the reply to be chosen as answer while i did provide a step-by-step solution as well! its the same solution!! :O

Friday, April 27, 2012 9:51 AM
  • It's not working.

I was added Level 1 user group home tab. Afterwords Tab1 site permissions - removed Inheritance permissions..

I was added couple of user accounts.. but these user accounts showing all the tabs (even I am using Stop Inheritance button).

please let me know

Thursday, May 3, 2012 9:11 PM
  • Hi Sally,

It is not working ..If I was added user names to praticular tab..user receives all tabs permission(I already removed permissions from tab level, still showing all user permissions in all tabs)

please let me know

Thursday, May 3, 2012 9:19 PM
  • Hi DurgaRao,

This is a easy process, but here you need to know if you want to 1-Hide only the Tab that links to the site or 2-Give permissions (Prevent Access)

Though if you used Audience Targeting as Suraj Bangera suggests the sites will still be accessible ex: typing the URL to the site in the address bar.

so what you need basically is to set permissions on the sites, here's a step-by-step for this:

• Go to the site that "Level 1 users" only can access.
    • go to site settings.
    • under Users and Permissions choose Site Permissions.
    • Click on Stop Inheriting Permissions, now you can edit permissions for this site,mark all the users by checking the box on their left and click Remove user permissions from the ribbon, make sure you dont remove the administrator you use to manage your environment neither remove any service account.
    • Now click Grant Permissions from the ribbon to add the users who will have access to this Site ex: Level 1 users from your scenario above.
    • Repeat this for every site you want to give special access permissions to.

note: for the home page that you want all users to access you dont need to add them individually or put all users in one group in AD, as ive seen some guys fall for this, all you need to do, if you have a Active Directory environment go to permissions of the site or page or whatever you want to set permissions to, and click Grant Permissions and add Authenticated users, authenticated users are all the users within your domain or forest, if you want users out of your domain to access your site you must configure Anonymous access,  here's a link Enable Anonymous access to SharePoint site

Also if you need the Hide the Tabs from the Top Link Bar you can do this as Suraj said by configuring Target Audience  for the Tab.

have a nice day.

Hi GAK,

check up these instructions,

and what do you mean by "tab"!! you mean the subsite? you want to give permissions on subsites access and not the button right??

i need to be more certain about what you want so i can help you better.

let me know how it goes

regards

Aabed Yassine - Systems Engineer. If my answer helped you please Vote As Helpful, and if my answer solved your problem please Mark As Answer.

Saturday, May 5, 2012 11:37 AM