Metadata invisible in Eplorer RRS feed

• Question

• On my system, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, then Explorer isn’t able to show the metadata (like Station Name and Program Description). I added these fields to the bar, but they remain empty. The metadata isn’t visible in the Properties either.
    I can see the metadata on a Vista system (same files, residing on server and vista disk)!

Fulco

Tuesday, February 16, 2010 10:45 AM

Answers

• Can you be a little more specific?  What is the file type?  I'm guessing it's a video of some type.

Have you installed a codec/shell extension on the Vista system that made the metadata from your particular type of video accessible?  If you're not sure, you can run ShellExView to find out.

For what it's worth, on my Windows 7 x64 Ultimate system I can see plenty of metadata in .wtv video files recorded using Windows Media Center...

-Noel
    • Proposed as answer by Noel Carboni Wednesday, February 17, 2010 4:05 AM
    • Marked as answer by Fulco Stiva Wednesday, February 17, 2010 11:18 AM
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 4:32 PM

All replies

• Can you be a little more specific?  What is the file type?  I'm guessing it's a video of some type.

Have you installed a codec/shell extension on the Vista system that made the metadata from your particular type of video accessible?  If you're not sure, you can run ShellExView to find out.

For what it's worth, on my Windows 7 x64 Ultimate system I can see plenty of metadata in .wtv video files recorded using Windows Media Center...

-Noel
    • Proposed as answer by Noel Carboni Wednesday, February 17, 2010 4:05 AM
    • Marked as answer by Fulco Stiva Wednesday, February 17, 2010 11:18 AM
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 4:32 PM
  • Hi Noel,

You are spot on: there is a shell extension installed on Vista, which isn’t available on Windows 7 64 bit.

The file type I am referring to is .TS (Transport Stream) which contains MPEG / H264 video streams.

Fulco

Tuesday, February 16, 2010 5:56 PM