Word 2003 locks up RRS feed

• Question

• I have a client who is running Office Small Business edition 2003 on the computers on their network.  The server is a Windows 2003 Small Business server.  This is where the Woird docs are stored in the user directories. 

The computers are all XP Pro with SP3.  When they are working in a Word document, Word will freeze.  Sometimes it shows Not Responding at the top of the page, but if you wait a minute, the Word document starts working again. 

One of the users reporting getting a message when saving a document that "auto save is not working".

We have background saves and allow fast saves turned on.  We edited our ESET NOD32 Antivirus software on the server to not scan Word documents, but that has not solved the issue, nor do I want to really turn off scanning on the Word docs.

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Mary

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 5:03 PM

All replies

• See the KnowledgeBase article "How to troubleshoot problems that occur when you start or use Word 2010, Word 2007, Word 2003, or Word 2002" at:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/921541?p=1

-- Hope this helps.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP,
    dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Posted via the Community Bridge

"ComputerDiva" wrote in message news:ed8d579e-61f3-456e-82fb-cb1cabbcd0d5@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

I have a client who is running Office Small Business edition 2003 on the computers on their network.  The server is a Windows 2003 Small Business server.  This is where the Woird docs are stored in the user directories.

The computers are all XP Pro with SP3.  When they are working in a Word document, Word will freeze.  Sometimes it shows Not Responding at the top of the page, but if you wait a minute, the Word document starts working again.

One of the users reporting getting a message when saving a document that "auto save is not working".

We have background saves and allow fast saves turned on.  We edited our ESET NOD32 Antivirus software on the server to not scan Word documents, but that has not solved the issue, nor do I want to really turn off scanning on the Word docs.

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Mary

Doug Robbins - Word MVP dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 11:59 PM
  • Thanks Doug.  I have some additional information.  I had deleted the Word Data registry key, and opened Word to do some testing.  After about 10 minutes of typing it hung for about 30 seconds.  I looked in the event viewer under applications and I have an event ID 1002, with the source being Application Hang.  The category is 101.

The description reads:

Hanging application ntvdm.exe, version 5.1.2600.5512, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hand address 0x0000000.

Any advice you can give me would be appreciated.

Mary

Mary ComputerDiva
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 5:09 PM
  • Other related information:

The users are also getting an Event ID 1002, Hanging application winword.exe, version 11.0.8328.0, hang module hungapp version 0.0.0.0 hang address 0x0000000

Mary

Mary ComputerDiva
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 6:32 PM